Old chargers with new iPods

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by greg555, Sep 12, 2008.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

So is it true that they dropped the Firewire charging circuit on both the new nano and new touch? My older daughter has ordered a nano and my younger wants a new touch.

Is there any way to tell if a charger (wall, car, or clock radio type) charges using USB or the Firewire pins? (Aside from plugging a new iPod into it.)

Thanks - Greg

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, it's true that FireWire is not compatible with the new Nano and Touch, even for charging.

Wall chargers will have a pack that is put into the power socket (like any electric device), and a separate cord that then connects the iPod to said pack; fairly easy to tell if the cable is a USB one or not as it will have the same connector as the one that came with the iPod.

Also, where possible, try and find the USB 2.0 logo, that will tell you if it's USB compatible.

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I guess they'd drop it sooner or later, but it still sucks. FW400 charges up my iPod touch (1g) in like an hour.

4. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I have a Firewire wall charger from my 1st gen iPod mini. My kids also have clock-radio type devices that they use for speakers and for charging. And we recently bought a Belden car charger. Hopefully they will still work.

Greg