Old Dell CRT...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZipOTrousers, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ZipOTrousers macrumors newbie

I've been looking for some display options for a while. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung SM 226CW for all my 360 gaming and film watching, but because of all the negative things I've heard about LCDs and colour matching I've decided I could also go for an old CRT, as I'm about to go into University to study 3D Computer Graphics and animation. Desk space really isnt a concern at all for me. I've found this http://www.computerdisplays.co.uk/19 inch monitors/dell p991.htm for £60 + VAT, is this a decent deal or is there somewhere in the UK I can find something similar cheaper? 19" sounds fairly acceptable to me as I'll have other monitors. Which leads me to my second question, I have a macbook pro 15.4" C2D. Would I be able to run this as a second monitor from the MBP? Just double checking before I make any decisions. Thanks.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

*waits for people to jump in and thrash CRT's*

But seriously, that actually sounds a bit high for that monitor...just my opinion.

Yes, you can use it as a 2nd monitor for your MBP.

3. ZipOTrousers thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yeah I expect nothing less than CRT hate from at least some people. How much would you say a decent 19" CRT would be worth? £30-£40?

Yeah i thought I'd be able to, just saw on the specs it was standard VGA as well. Always better to double check though >_>

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

That sounds more like the range you should be looking in. These days, there isn't much different between new CRT's, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to compare. :)

5. ZipOTrousers thread starter macrumors newbie

The same place do have some at £40, though they're from random manufacturers like "Targa" and "Tatung" and i tihnk they have curved screens whereas the dell is flat. Think Ill go for the Dell considering its only £20 more and theres only 1 left in stock lol. Thanks

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I have a Dell P991. Bought it used at least three years ago at a local PC shop. It's been used on various secondary machines since, and it still works 100% and has great color. It is heavy.. heavy enough to bow the top of one cheap computer desk a good bit. ;)

7. ZipOTrousers thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to see its consisant. Did you calibrate it? Ill be getting a Spyder2 and using that on it as well. Yeah it looks real bulky lol, I'm thinking about maybe getting a second table (like a bedside table) and putting the Dell on it next to my desk. (this is why i dont consider desk space to be a problem lol). This as well as the MBP, a Wacom Intuos3 A5 tablet and a 22" Samsung on one desk may be pushing it ">_>

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea, a CRT is both heavy and bulky. I have a macbook and a samsung 24" widescreen and adding a CRT will totally collapse my desk... you might want to just get one of those collapsible tables and have it sit there.

9. ZipOTrousers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'll probably just raid ikea for something, would be pretty immense if a CRT collapsed my desk and ruined a couple grands worth of technology. Maybe not lol