Old desktop + newer phone = incompatible

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by canter, Jun 17, 2015.

1. canter macrumors newbie

I have an older Mac desktop running OS 10.6.8. I cannot upgrade the OS without adding memory, and just haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I also have an iPhone 5C running iOS 7.1.2 (it has more than enough space to download 8, but for some reason it won't do it). For a while now, I haven't been able to backup my phone to iTunes on my Mac because, with how old my Mac OS is, I can't update iTunes enough to be compatible with my phone. Major problem, and obviously one I should have fixed before now.

Which brings me to my current problem. My phone got wet a couple days ago, and after sitting in a bag of rice for 48 hours it did turn on and seems to be working fine. I need to get it backed up though, in case it decides to die sometime soon due to delayed water damage. I have a 2TB external hard drive that I use to back up my Mac, but since I'm unable to backup my phone to iTunes, that's not doing any good in terms of saving my phone's data right now.

I am able to back up my photos to iPhoto, and I do that regularly and was able to do that this morning. But I'd like to also save my contacts, messages, bookmarks, etc. Is there any way for me to backup my phone directly to the external hard drive without going through iTunes?

2. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

Doubtful. Really, upgrade already. Adding memory isn't a huge deal. 5 minutes.