Old Dog trying to learn new Tricks - recent convert from PC to Mac looking for sugges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desmotesta, Nov 19, 2012.

1. desmotesta macrumors member

Hello all,

After using PCs for almost 20 years I have recently “converted” from PC world and have recently acquired a MBP. (MBP still in transit from Apple)

I am engineer by trade and an amateur photographer/videographer (hence the decision to get a MBP) I needed something “powerful” enough to edit full HD video content.

I have had an iphone since its inception and we do own a couple of Ipads/Ipods but this is our first Mac computer (since 1991 when I had a Macintosh Computer).

I am looking for suggestions on what programs and accessories to get.

Given my hobbies what photo/video editing software would you recommend?

Are accessories/peripherals like Time machine an absolute must have?

How practical/affective are the hard case covers? Do most people use them?

Is the magic mouse a “must have”?

Is there a way to import ALL of my Outlook email (almost 9 years worth) to Apple email?

I have tons more questions and I apologize if some of these have been asked in the past

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Welcome. I used to be a PC (before, Commodore) user for over 10 years, switched to mac around 2003. You'll never go back. :)

Lightroom is a must (it's the industry standard). Photoshop for deeper manipulation of imagery. Premiere Pro for editing.

Time Machine is nice, but I still use an external RAID 1 to backup my important work. If you're doing photo/video then you probably will be using an external drive. I would use TimeMachine to keep your local stuff backed up (music, etc) and put all the external content on another drive.

They're ugly. Even the best ones. Just get a nice carry bag (Like a standard Incase) and you're set. Keep your eye on the Mac and you will be ok (don't drop it, treat it nicely, and clean it once in a while). The better bags are pretty pricey.

It's terrible, honestly. This is coming from a graphic designer. I use a Wacom tablet for photo manipulation and mouse for typesetting. I would rather use a wired old Mighty Mouse than the BT Magic Mouse.

If it's still on the server, sure. If not, then I would just move on and keep a backup of it. You can however get Office and it comes with Outlook for Mac. It's a yucky client though compared to Apple Mail. I'm not sure if you can move the database from your PC to the Mac version.

You'll learn stuff on your own once you get it. Just enjoy the machine and be productive on it :)

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Never say never !

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not gonna happen. :apple:

5. Haifisch macrumors regular

I use Lightroom 4. Photoshop is too pro and iPhoto is too weak. I don't have a recommendation for video.

I love the Trackpad, both on my Air and the full-sized Magic Trackpad.

I backup to an external HD via Time Machine.

I do use a Speck hardshell on my Air. I find the aluminum too slippery.

6. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Magic Mouse is something some people like, and some people don't. I would try one out before buying if possible.

Obviously get Photoshop CS6 for Mac. What video software do you currently use on Windows?

7. switon, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Accessories...

Hi desmotesta,

...just a couple quick recommendations for accessories...

I really enjoy the extra screen "real estate" available on an external monitor, especially when editing video. Personally, for my antediluvian eyes, I find the screens on laptops to be too small for me to be effective at editing video. I'm much better when using a 27" external display. Not only that, but I typically use the 27" display for showing the maximum number of video clips while the actual "movie" is displayed full screen on the laptop's screen.

Secondly, I also enjoy a wireless keyboard and wireless trackpad. This allows me to be comfortably seated in front of the 27" display and type/mouse while keeping the laptop's screen off to the side. In other words, I don't have to twist around and type on the laptop while looking at the 27" monitor. My troglodytic back is not as flexible as it once was, so I don't twist as easily as I used to either.

Thirdly, if you don't already have a good N wireless router (which you probably do), but if not, then a Time Capsule is not only a decent wireless router but also a 2Tb or 3TB NAS that works extremely well with Time Machine. I think, coming from the PC world, you will find Time Machine to your liking. It is a great hourly backup program that works through forming links. It allows you to go back to any hour and recover files the way they were that hour (last 24 hours are stored, then the last 30 days, then weekly until all of your backup disk is filled).

And finally, if you are really doing a lot of video editing, then a RAID storage system, like the Synology or Drobo or Pegasus, can be very nice to store those terabytes of video clips.

Enjoy your new Mac,
    Switon

P.S. Get a wireless trackpad, not the wireless mouse. You'll be much happier with the trackpad I think

8. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

Time Machine is a backup utility that is included with OS X.

Maybe you are talking about Time Capsule; you can use Time Capsule or other internal or external drive to backup.

9. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Suggest you pick up a copy of Switching to the Mac, Mountain Lion Edition by David Pogue.

10. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

You can use Thunderbird as an intermediary to transfer from Outlook to Mac Mail. Also look at Migration Assistant, built in to the newest versions of OS X. It says it will transfer your mail.

11. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I had years of emails archived in Thunderbird on my PC hard drive from old email addresses. I installed Thunderbird on my MBP, stored my emails there, and do all my current work in the MBP Mail program.