Old Excel File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ShosMeister, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ShosMeister macrumors newbie

ShosMeister

Okay, for all the new guys, just ignore this :)

Error:Cannot open document created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh version 1.x

Solution Found: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290772

Problem: I don't have my old Excel (or at least I can't find it). I do still have my old copies of Office 95 for PC but that doesn't seem to open it either. Probably because back in the day, it wasn't directly compatible.

What I need is to be able to open this file in something and get it converted to OpenOffice, Office X or Office 2003.

Thanks!!!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you asking for help? Perhaps a benevolent member of this forum with a copy of Excel v.X or Excel 2004 will convert the file for you.

3. ShosMeister thread starter macrumors newbie

ShosMeister

I actually own Office v.X and 2003 and neither one opens it. As the thread that I included indicates, that code had to be removed after Excel 4.0. So I either need Excel 4.0 or earlier or I'm thinking an old version of Claris Works. I thought I had them but can't seem to find my old disks. I may have to go up in the attic and see what's up there :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The thread that you included gave nothing. Of use, however, is MacLinkPlus Deluxe. It includes support for Excel 4.0 and is well worth the expense if you have to convert multiple filetypes.

5. ShosMeister thread starter macrumors newbie

ShosMeister

This is what I was referring to in the included thread:
    I'll see if I can find the old MacLinkPlus.

Thanks!!!

6. ShosMeister thread starter macrumors newbie

ShosMeister

Problem solved:

I started digging through my old Zip disks that I used to use for backup - you know how long ago that was :) :) - and found one that had my copy of Excel 3.0 on it. Since, back in the day, the applications were self contained, I unboxed my old iMac 800, popped in the zip and fired it up. Opened the files and saved them in the new format. Then, back to the MacBook and open in my current version of Excel which should be good for a few more years.

Thanks!!!