Old Excel File

ShosMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Okay, for all the new guys, just ignore this :)

Error:Cannot open document created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh version 1.x

Solution Found: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290772

Problem: I don't have my old Excel (or at least I can't find it). I do still have my old copies of Office 95 for PC but that doesn't seem to open it either. Probably because back in the day, it wasn't directly compatible.

What I need is to be able to open this file in something and get it converted to OpenOffice, Office X or Office 2003.

Thanks!!!!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Are you asking for help? Perhaps a benevolent member of this forum with a copy of Excel v.X or Excel 2004 will convert the file for you.

Comment

ShosMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I actually own Office v.X and 2003 and neither one opens it. As the thread that I included indicates, that code had to be removed after Excel 4.0. So I either need Excel 4.0 or earlier or I'm thinking an old version of Claris Works. I thought I had them but can't seem to find my old disks. I may have to go up in the attic and see what's up there :)

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I actually own Office v.X and 2003 and neither one opens it. As the thread that I included indicates, that code had to be removed after Excel 4.0. So I either need Excel 4.0 or earlier or I'm thinking an old version of Claris Works. I thought I had them but can't seem to find my old disks. I may have to go up in the attic and see what's up there :)
The thread that you included gave nothing. Of use, however, is MacLinkPlus Deluxe. It includes support for Excel 4.0 and is well worth the expense if you have to convert multiple filetypes.

Comment

ShosMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
The thread that you included gave nothing.
This is what I was referring to in the included thread:
Excel 1.x was released in 1987 and uses a file format that is no longer in use. A converter for this format was available in Excel through version 4.0. Unfortunately, a change in the functionality of the converter engine required removal of the Excel 1.x converter in later versions of Excel, including versions 5.0, 97, and 98. Because of the age of the product, limited options now exist for opening Excel 1.x files.
I'll see if I can find the old MacLinkPlus.

Thanks!!!

Comment

ShosMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Problem solved:

I started digging through my old Zip disks that I used to use for backup - you know how long ago that was :) :) - and found one that had my copy of Excel 3.0 on it. Since, back in the day, the applications were self contained, I unboxed my old iMac 800, popped in the zip and fired it up. Opened the files and saved them in the new format. Then, back to the MacBook and open in my current version of Excel which should be good for a few more years.

Thanks!!!

Comment