Old files from 1987 Mac SE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anniez, Jan 29, 2009.

1. anniez macrumors newbie

I got my old Mac SE down from a closet to try to access old newspaper articles I had written about my children. I took it to a computer repair place to hopefully get a dvd and text copy of the files so I could have a book printed of these articles. Instead, they deleted all the files and the Microsoft word program on the computer, which while old, still operated the same as it did in 1987. I thankfully found an old floppy disk of the articles, but since they also deleted Microsoft word, I cannot open them. I am hoping there is an answer. Does someone know how I can get an old 1987 copy of Microsoft Word? Or any other answer to open this floppy disk. Any old Mac SE's in South Carolina?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

How can they have deleted word on that computer? I thought it ran off the floppy disks? It was never on the computer. You turn the computer on, insert the system disk to load the Operating System, then Insert each disk you want to load each program..

Edit: Woops was thinking about the Mac II

3. iowamensan macrumors 6502

No, Mac SE's had hard drives - the OS ran off the hard drive.

To the OP, I still have my Mac SE at home, I will look to see if I have my Word disks.

4. anniez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for looking for orig floppy

It has been so long ago but I think Microsoft Word was loaded onto the SE before I even got it. I can't find my old floppys that came with it so I am so upset about losing access to these files. Any help would be so much appreciated.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Did the repair place still charge you for whatever they did even though they lost the data you wanted them to retrieve?

6. anniez thread starter macrumors newbie

cut and paste was done

No, they did not charge me. The owner seems to think they did a cut and paste instead of a copy and paste. He told me to search for an old copy of microsoft word.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Have you considered an inexpensive usb floppy drive you can use to access the files with your current Mac? That's probably easier to find than Word or ClarisWorks.. you can get wordperfect from system7today.com but you'll still need that usb floppy drive to get it onto the SE..

8. anniez thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded your suggestion and am hopeful. Thanks.