Old G4 dual 450mhz w/ new RAM...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ghost Horses, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Ghost Horses macrumors newbie

So I have the Powermac G4 that I added memory to recently and I've noticed something weird. It doesn't seem stable any more. I tried working in photoshop and the damn thing crashed on me while working on a simple "scale" task. So does this have anything to do w/ the memory? It only started doing it after I put in another 512mb of RAM? I got the RAM from OWC btw...please help!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Check if the RAM is installed properly, take out and put it back. Check your Mac for issues.

If it's still there, remove the RAM and check if there's still issues.

If there's no issues, get a refund for the RAM and buy elsewhere, maybe Crucial.

3. Ghost Horses thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I thought about doing that. I'll have to try it.

So what's crucial refer to? You mean the website?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yes, crucial.com

I bought cheap RAM for my PowerBook a while back that was suppose to be compatible, but wasn't. I bought from Crucial and it worked perfectly, also for my girlfriend's iBook. Crucial is one of the sites most people will recommend.

5. Ghost Horses thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...this is weird! Now I try the same thing in Photoshop and it works fine? I'm gonna keep my eye out for weird corks, but any advise here? Anyone? Any tricks I can do to see if I'm going to have the same type problems later down the road. I'm kinda in limbo cause I'd like to return the memory asap if it's going to freeze up Photoshop and the like. If my memory is not compatible, are there certain things you can check or does it just effect a computer randomly?

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

7. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

also, be sure your cooling hasn't coincidentally died.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Also a good point. My Sawtooth has an upgrade with a fan on it, and a PCI slot fan as well (it runs pretty hot most of the time).