Old G4 running 10.3.9 won't boot after Airport update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rabatjoie, Nov 30, 2007.

1. rabatjoie macrumors member

Hi,

My roommate has an ancient PowerMac G4 / 450 Mhz that runs on 10.3.9. Recently, he installed an Airport update that came up in Software update. When trying to restart, the computer wouldn't boot anymore but got stuck on the grey screen w/ grey apple logo, without any error message.

Does anyone have this problem, too? If yes, are there any easy workarounds? As of now, I am planning to boot from my 10.3 Install disk and try to restore the system, hopefully without losing any of his data.

If you have any suggestions / comments, I'd be very grateful.

2. pandy macrumors newbie

we have this exact problem

are there any solutions for the problem above

3. rabatjoie thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

this was a long time ago, but I remember that in the end we did not do much and the problem solved itself much to our surprise. I think the solution was to simply wait *a really long time* and the G4 would boot.

I know that this is not very specific, but I suggest you try it just to rule out this possibility...

Otherwise I can only suggest the usual troubleshooting steps, such as repairing permissions after having booted to a system CD. There are also some other routine measures that you can try when you boot into the open firmware interface, but you'll have to look them up elsewhere as I only did it once myself while following instructions found in a forum...