Old Graphics card in NEW Mac Pro???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by merneric, Sep 7, 2010.

1. merneric macrumors member

Ok, this is probably a silly question but here goes:

I just bought a new 6-core 2010 macpro with 5870 to replace the old 2006 quad core. I have 3 ACD displays, one 30" and two 23" on either side. Was using an ATI4870 to drive 30" and ATIXT2600 to drive the two 23". Planned to just put the 2600 in the new machine, and not worry about hassle of trying to get all three ports working on the 5870. Unfortunately the 2010 mac pro does not seem to recognize the older card properly. I also tried putting in the stock 2006 Nvidia 7300GT as well, but same issue. Only slot I tried was slot 3, which is where it was in my 2006 mac pro.

Anyone else successively run older graphics card in new mac pro? I am wondering if it might be an EFI issue, although I thought these things were backwards compatible.

Thanks!

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The Radeon HD 5870 Mac Edition can run all three displays.

It features two Mini-DisplayPort connectors and one Dual-DVI connector :)

Just grab two Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adaptors and it should be fine.

3. goMac macrumors 603

Which will drain resources from the 5870 on the other displays...

Odd that the 2600 does not work, that is an EFI64 card iirc.

I know that the GT 120 will work, people have reported that working here on the forum.

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is possible... according to this 5770/5870 support document, running 3 DVI displays is not as straight forward as that...

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Very easy.

Three DVI displays.

Mini DisplayPort -> Use Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Mini DisplayPort -> Use Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Dual-Link DVI -> Connect to display

I know, I know, very complicated.

6. merneric thread starter macrumors member

hmm, thanks for your response. Initially you made it sound like just plugging in a couple of pasive mdp-dvi adapters would work..it dosn't. This is well documented by Apple, and even so, I tried. I can get the dual-link dvi + 1 mdp->dvi adapter to work fine, but not all 3.

Your second post mentions mdp -> "dual-link" dvi adapter, which is the $99 active adapter. This is what I am trying to avoid by just using my older graphics card, as I really do not want to spend another $200 just to get my other displays up and running, not to mention having to tie up 2 USB ports in order to power them up.

So again, I am just wondering if anyone else has run in to this issue and had success with using an older card to run 3+ displays?

7. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I think this is what the OP is trying to avoid... hence the 2nd card. The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapters have proven to be quite unreliable, plus each one is $99... so he'll have to spend over $200 more. A second card makes more sense, for example a GT120 costs $149, and without all the issues of the MDP to Dual Link adapter.

Cheers!

8. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Yes, the dual-link ones are 99 dollars, but for his use, the cheaper single-link adapters should work. He would then connect the 30" via dual link DVI and the two 23" via mini display port to single link DVI adapter (the 23" should not need dual link).

9. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Again... check this out.

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

wrong. to run three displays simultanously, the two dp outputs have to be active, aka dual link. even with 23" displays. this is not dependant on the screen size.

older cards will work in new mac pro.

11. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Dual Link != aktive!

Everything needed for the OPs setup is two additional active adapters, dual Link is only required for resolutions higher than 1920x1200.
    Since Apple doesn't sell active single link adapters they tell you that you require their overpriced dual link adapter.

Active single link adapters can be bought for about 30 bucks.
    For references please read this article: Click

12. merneric thread starter macrumors member

Correct. I am trying to avoid buying two "active" mdp->dual link display ports.

I am not so certain that older cards will work tho, for like I said, I tried this and was unsuccessful. I'll try again tonight, this time trying all three open slots. Althhough I'm not sure why this would make a difference.

13. merneric thread starter macrumors member

Now that is news to me. I did not know there was an "Active" mdp-> single-link adapter out there. In theory that should work fine...in practice...I wonder. Still, ultimately I would be happy just to get my old card up and running again in my new system.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yeah, it is possible to get cheaper active Signal Link Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters, although, it may still be cheaper to buy a second display adapter.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Your best bet would be to grab a couple of GT 120 cards on the cheap and use their DVI ports. You can find these cards for $119 each on eBay. Here the link to all GT120 Mac card sales on eBay. Good luck!

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=GT+120+Mac

16. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Great find. It'll be great if this MDP->DVI single link active adapter works as promised... but it seem's it's not available just yet. Amazon has is for pre-order since August 27 for $29.99.

17. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

There is some hope for active adapters to become cheaper very soon. ATI/AMD announced a cheap adapter because they want to promote eyefinity (which is not very attractive if you have to buy 6 adapters at 100$ each).

18. sboerup macrumors 6502

My ATI2600 did NOT work with the 5870 in the new 2010 MPs. I had to buy (2) Dual-link MDP adapters for my 3 DVI displays to work. No way around it. I paid the same as getting a GT120, wish I had bought the GT120.

19. merneric thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's what i thought...so now i wonder if the gt120 will as well? Can anyone with a 2010 MP actually confirm that a gt120 will work along side a 5870?