Old hard drive in other/new Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by without papers, Jun 19, 2013.

1. without papers macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a question. My wife and I both got macbooks in mid 2010. Mine was the pro and hers was the white. She recently dropped hers and the display is now ruined. Mine still runs like the first day I got it, but I'd like an upgrade because I actually like to play games, whereas she's just interested in going on the internet. Here's what I'd like to do, and I want to know if there will be any issues with this:

I want to take out her hard drive out of her mid 2010 macbook, and put it in my mid 2010 macbook pro so I can upgrade and she can continue on with her internet browsing with her own hard drive.

This shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing a potential problem?

Thanks!

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

You can change the HDD's between your macbook abd mbp without any problems. They both take SATA HDD's, and should only take a few minutes to change the drives.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I will confirm that that works (I haven't personally done it with the specific models you're using, but I have with numerous other Macs).

Some people advocate doing a clean install of the OS and then using Migration Assistant to move the user's data. That also works very well, but it takes a little bit longer.

4. chattahoochee macrumors 6502

Dosen't this require the OS to be reinstalled when mating the motherboard with a foreign HDD ?

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Nope. You can just plug and play.

I have a couple of versions of OSX installed on USB thumb drives that I use to diagnose Macs when they're having trouble. I've used it on MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis.

Same drive across all of those systems and never had an issue.

Good Luck!!!