Old hdd files into a new

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mesca, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mesca macrumors member

Hi, i bought a western digital 320 gb 2,5 hard drive for my macbook ( lastest gen. ). To prevent a new installation of Mac OS X i want to use the pc desktop ,using Vista, as a bridge to drop old files into the new WD.
    The problem is Mac Os X use HFS PLUS as file system ,right?, so Windows Vista - i think - cannot read any files. For linux i use IFS that expand original window's file system to the linux one but does exist a similar software also for the HFS Plus format ? Or it will be read as a linux partition.

Thanks guys. :)

2. ant-macyourself macrumors member

Perhaps a program like MacDrive is what you're looking for? It lets Windows read HFS+ drives and is available for a free trial.

If you're installing a new hard drive but don't want to reinstall OS X why don't you use SuperDuper to clone your current drive to your new one? You'll need a USB or Firewire hard drive cradle, but you won't lose any files or settings once you make the switch. It'll be like nothing ever changed (except you'll have a lot more room to breathe!).

3. mesca thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I think this method is more easy infact i bought a usb case for sata hard drive to let me this .

Thanks for replying