Old high-end MBP vs. New low-end?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nedturskakao, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Nedturskakao macrumors member

Hi, i ordered the new MBP with 2.4 Ghz + 320GB 7200 RPM HDD + 2GB RAM.

But know i have the opportunity to buy the old model with 2.6 Ghz 15,4" screen, 200GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB ram for almost the same price (about 50$ cheaper, and i bet i can get it a little cheaper).

Do you think i should cancel my order and go with the older one instead? I haven't even seen the new ones in real life yet, i ordered mine the night it got presented.

Need a fast answer or else i can't cancel my order since they could send it now! The estimated delivery date is 28th october!

Thanks!

EDIT: The old one also comes with 2 "almost never used" batteries!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

new vs. old is subjective which is hard to say without seeing one in person. i thought the aluminum powerbooks looked boring next to tibooks they replaced.

3. Nedturskakao thread starter macrumors member

I like the design on both of them, i'm more worried about the specs for the one i ordered compared to the older one!

4. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

The $50 price difference alone isn't enough to really sway you either wya, to me it comes down to the hard drive.. Do you think you can live with 200GB? If not, you'll spend more than that $50 to upgrade and get you back to the 320GB. Then again, the 2nd battery is a nice extra and has some value, especially if you plan to use it remotely alot. It might help offset the cost of upgrading the drive.

Performance-wise, I don't know that a casual user would notice a difference - theres tons of threads discussing that but its not like the performance increase is so big that you'd be crazy not to do it...

5. Herrow macrumors regular

The new MBP is very sleek. If you don't mind the lack of FW400, Full DVI..... and a glossy screen, I would highly suggest to stick with the newer case design.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would say keep the new one. With the new one you get the new video card (which will help save on battery life so they say) and you dont have to worry about any issues with the 8600M GT card. Also you have a user replaceable HD so you can always upgrade down the road if you manage to fill 250 GB of space.

7. Nedturskakao thread starter macrumors member

I will!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH OMGOMGOMG sorry for this but IM SO EXCITED!!! I JUST CHEKED MY APPLE ACCOUNT AND THEY PREPARED MY NEW MBP FOR SHIPMENT ALREADY:D:D:D:D

sorry guys, seriously, i waited for this for 5 months! Thank for everything, now i can't cancel it anymore, but i won't! Thought about it and i'll stick with the new one, that's also what i waited for such a long time for!

Thanks for your answers, they did help me to make my final decision!:)