Old i5 Vs New i3 for PS and Logic Studio?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PhelpsiPhan, Aug 8, 2010.

1. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Hey guys, just need your advice on something

I am looking to do alot of recording with Logic Studio, and was wondering which would be better? are the old i5's still a lot faster than the new i3's? I will also be doing a bit of photoshopping and Premiere

Thanks

Jonathan

2. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Good question! I was actually about to start a thread asking a very similar question. I havent owned an apple desktop since I had a apple IIgs many years ago. Ive been looking at the new 27in I3 iMac for $1699 and then ran across the refurbished I5 iMac for $1529. basically its a 2.66 i5 refurbished vs a new 3.2 i3 other then that the specs seem to be very similar. My needs are very similar to the OP. I use cs5 on daily basis as well as aperture from time to time. At the moment i am using a 2.0ghz macbook with 2.5gb of ram. It actually does fairly well for its age, but its very time and cpu consuming when i start encoding a DVD. Usually around 93% CPU usage according to istat. Ive got a newer macbook(late 2009) but its strictly for work purposes so Im not allowed to do anything else on it so i really cant compare what a faster cpu will do. Will I notice a significant difference between the i3 or i5 and my macbook? also, would the newer i3 be faster then the refurb i5?? thanks for any input!!

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The refurb i5 would be considerably better for both of you, since Logic and encoding are both pretty processor heavy. The i5 is a much faster processor for tasks like that