Old iBook G3 500MHz question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iLoveMyApple, Apr 14, 2009.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I bought an old 500MHz iBook G3 (2nd generation, the white one) off eBay just for portability around the house. Which my iMac obviously doesn't offer. Anyways. I'm really happy. It's pretty speedy for 500MHz, but I notice when I'm typing on certain websites (MySpace, Twitter, etc), the keyboard kind of lags. Like right now it's really good, but when I want to post a tweet on Twitter or post a bulletin on MySpace it lags. I'm upgrading my RAM, it's on it's way in the mail. Could this fix this issue or is it the processor?

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

The issue with Myspace inparticular, is that it's heavily infiltrated with Flash content. Pre-Intel Macs do not handle Flash efficiently at all, especially not modern flash. Increasing the RAM may help, but Flash content is heavily dependent on the processor.

In short, no the RAM won't really help the crappy running on Flash-based sites.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Upgrading the RAM may help a little bit.

But, back in March of '08, I used an 800 MHz iBook G3 with 256 MB of RAM as my main computer for a little over three weeks, and I recall the kind of issues you describe happening to me as well.

These machines are still great for light web surfing and eMail, but on today's more graphic and flash intensive sites, they're starting to struggle a bit.

4. iPhoneJB macrumors newbie

How much RAM are you using? What version of Mac OS X are you running? Also, what hard drive is in your iBook?

5. showcow45 macrumors newbie

similar problem

on my 800mhz ibook i have typing lag as well, and youtube videos are unbearable choppy and slow.:mad:

6. muska2510 macrumors newbie

dont know why i got ibook g3 700mhz and 512 ram and i not had a prob on any sites and key lag so it may well be you net speed or you hdd is to full but i been playing games on myspace so it not the site

7. showcow45 macrumors newbie

im thinking its my internet thats making it lag for some reason