old iBook Laptop Model A1005 Looking To Upgrade OS..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AaronMacs, Sep 6, 2015.

1. AaronMacs macrumors newbie

AaronMacs

I have an old iBook Laptop Model A1005, and I am looking to upgrade the Operating System a bit, as the current Operating System does not accept an external wireless card. Can anyone help :)?

Thanks!

2. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

You have an iBook G3. The latest Operating System is Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. Any newer versions require a G4 processor or higher. Good luck with your iBook!

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The most recent operating system you can put on that computer is OS X Tiger, aka 10.4.11(at least for the time being :) ).

I'm not sure what you mean about an "external" wireless card. Your computer has a slot for the Apple 802.11b Airport card under the keyboard. Under Tiger, you will be able to connect to unsecured networks with this card, as well as networks using WEP or WPA/TKIP encryption. Most networks today use more advanced security, so this card is of limited value. Other folks may be able to advise you about USB WiFi dongles that will work, however any of these will be bottlenecked by the USB 1.1 ports on your computer.

There exists another option in the form of small, portable wireless bridges that are powered via a USB port and "talk" to the computer through the ethernet port. The one I have is 802.11g and works with pretty much any network I throw at it. These are platform and operating system agnostic, as all configuration is done through a web browser.

4. AaronMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

AaronMacs

bunnspecial, thank you so much!

Would love to know where I can purchase one of these:

"The one I have is 802.11g and works with pretty much any network I throw at it. These are platform and operating system agnostic, as all configuration is done through a web browser."

Do you have a link to the one you are using?
    Thanks!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you choose to go for a USB dongle then the Netgear WNA1000m is the best option I have seen for laptops by design.

6. AaronMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

AaronMacs

Altemose, Thanks! This is different than what the poster above you was talking about though....correct? Is this USB dongle plug and play on this unit?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The dongle will need you to install the correct drivers, which is limited to 10.4.11 and higher to my knowledge. Furthermore, it will be limited by USB 1.1 so the option that @bunnspecial posted is going to yield better speeds. Though, on a machine of that vintage I doubt you will see any significant difference when browsing under TenFourFox between the dongle and Ethernet adapter.

8. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

For those confused by that statement, @LightBulbFun (project master), Bunn, @tevion5, @MacCubed, @iModFrenzy, @128keaton and I (all members of my MR iMessage Group Chat) are all actively working on hacking Leopard 10.5.8 onto NWR G3s. We are attempting to use the .kext files from the early OS X Leopard WWDC 2006 Preview (which could be run on a G3 natively) and combining them with the kexts from 10.5.8 to allow it to run on a G3. @LightBulbFun can do a more thorough writeup of the project and probabaly do a better job than me of explaining it :)

9. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

you have done a good Job describing it heh (one thing you missed out is geting the Beta kernel working on a retail install since the retail kernel does not work on a G3 CPU) Im making slow progress due to the lack of hardware and as not to rase anyones hopes up I dont know how this will turn out... (in theory it should work but in theory and in practice is 2 different things LOL) it might work it might not ill have to find out as I go along... heh if anyone in the UK is willing to donate a 9600 (or good 8600) to me id be gladly willing to give you a dual 2004 2Ghz G5 in return assuming you can collect it from London

10. AaronMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

AaronMacs

WOW! Thank you so much all for the info! Looks like I got what I need to get this going :)!
    Thanks Again!