Old iBook or PC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macbookairman, Oct 7, 2008.

1. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So awhile ago I jumped into the world of macs with a new macbook. I love it. Now, the time has come where my mom needs a new laptop. The problem is, she only wants to put $400 or so into it. I've been trying to help her find a good laptop, but I have some questions.

So far what I have found (that I like) is this. Can somebody tell me if PowerMax is a good site to buy used macs from? The mac i'm looking at (as linked to) is a used iBook G4
    All my mom would use the iBook (or any laptop) for is email, web browsing, general word processing, and watching some youtube videos.

Would 128 MB's of RAM be suitable for that? I'd just like to hear your thoughts on whether or not i should go with the used iBook or a new PC with a more decent amount of RAM. (which my mom is used to. she just knows how to use macs, she doesn't use macs very often)

thanks!

Also, is iWork '08 compatible with that iBook? (Would that amount of RAM be sufficient for iWork?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. marioblackman23 macrumors member

Pc

Doesn't make much sense to get a really old ibook and you can get a decent pc laptop. Go for the windows laptop

5. macbookairman thread starter macrumors 6502a

the problem with that is that I'm having a hard time finding a pc (laptop) for that price. Also if I/she did get a pc instead of the iBook, I would prefer a new one. For some reason i don't feel comfortable with a used pc.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

7. macbookairman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holy Crap! Thanks! I can't believe i missed that! I think I'll go with that.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

I am outraged at the price for that old iBook.

For that price you be able to find a 14" iBook 1.42ghz on Craigslist or Ebay that holds 1.5 gigs of ram, comes with a superdrive, has bluetooth 2.0 and sudden motion sensor and airport built in. It has 512mb ram soldered onto its logic board. It is the last revision and best iBook made.

How do I know that is too high of a price on that site you linked? I bought this same 1.42 ghz iBook a year ago on Craigslist for 450 and today it is worth about 400.

I wouldn't pay 200 for that old 933mhz G4 ibook. Problems with it, too.

9. Mr Earl macrumors newbie

That's a good deal for the acer. 128mb ram isn't enough.

10. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Get a Dell (not the best, but t'll do) and immediately wipe it and put Ubuntu Hardy Heron on it. E-mail, Open Office, Internet, works with iPods, Quicktime, etc.

The average home user doesn't need anything else.

Dell does sell a limited number of laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed, but the cheapest ones have Vista, for some reason.