Old iBook that needs an AirPort card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by igucl, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. igucl macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2003
    Hello, everyone. I have a quick question here. I have a 700 Mhz G3 iBook and I want to put a wireless card in it. What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to put a third-party card in it, or if I'll need to get an AirPort card. Also, is it right that this model is only compatible with 802.11 b? Could I put a new AirPort Extreme card in it, or do I have to find a used regular AirPort?

    Thanks for any information you have. :)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Sorry but regular 802.11b AirPort cards are the only ones that'll fit. Your only alternative is a USB dongle, but I'd recommend the AirPort card. :)
  3. TMA macrumors 6502a


    Jan 6, 2003
    Regular Airport cards were discontinued last year but you can still find them new from places that source them out as spare/engineer parts. They are often quite expensive though (we do them for £90)
  4. rhodest macrumors regular

    May 12, 2005
    You have to do some searching for the original airport cards. The lowest I've seen from a store it $78 usd although i'm sure there are some cheaper than that.
  5. iEdd macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2005
    Your best bet is the 802.11b @ 11Mbps airport card..

    Though a third party one could be alright. Either a USB dongle or a PCMCIA card. Though both of them will have a bulg sticking out of your computer at least a little bit.

Share This Page