Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I have a g4 800mhz ibook and am thinking of upgrading to the newly released one. Im just wondering what happens to my music? I ripped around 3000 tracks off cds and have some stuff off itunes. Is there anyway to transfer this data accross from old to new before i sell my laptop on ebay?

In terms of documents/bookmarks etc - i have important stuff burnt to cd and wouldn't mind starting fresh.

Please help!

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
The Migration Assistant (Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant) is an amazing, fast, and thorough way of transferring files to a new computer. Whenever you start up a new machine for the first time, it asks if you want to transfer another computer over to the new one; select yes, get the other computer into Target Disk Mode, plug them via FireWire, and let the good times roll.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There is lots of variants on this question in the forums already. Searching or browsing a bit might have made it unnecessary to make a new thread.

Do you have an iPod? Try this.

If not the best way might be to just network the two iBooks together (or use the old in FireWire target mode) and drag the whole iTunes folder over to the new iBook. Or, even better, use the Consolidate Library feature and then move just the library file afterwords. Some hints might be found here, here and here

Edit: Or just look at MacHarne's advice which seems a lot simpler... :eek: ;)

Enjoy your new iBook, you lucky mumble-mumble, I'll have to be satisfied with my iBook G4@800 for a while longer... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.