Old iMac, don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by majapapaya, Jan 27, 2009.

1. majapapaya macrumors member

majapapaya

I am am going to ask a few questions about my old iMac.

I'm finally parting with my first Apple, iMac 500MHz PowerPC G3 memory 579mb, OX 10.3.9. blue dotted dalmatian case. :(
    At this point I just want to give it away, I went to ebay none of these models are selling. I really don't want to put it on the street, it will just be raped there, boohoo. She also comes with printer and scanner.
    I heard of a website sharetechnology.org but they only take computers that are 3-4 years old.
    And I haven't found a place for recycling in NYC, yet.
    Any other ideas before I post on CL or the trash.
    SECOND: I need to clean out the computer, get rid of my personal stuff... I forgot how to do this. And does this remove all the applications I installed thus making the printer and scanner obsolete.
    I just want a home for it. I realize this may not happen, I don't want her either.
    Thanks
    Maja

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Boot from system cd/dvd
    Format drive (zero out)
    Reinstall OS

Post on Craigslist.org
    Either for free or post for some amount under $100 (probably close to $50).

3. smokestack macrumors member

just give it up for free.
    let some mac nerd take it, or somebody who can put it to use.

4. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

In the UK the dalmation is rare and probably saleable. Not the case in the US?

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

My father has exactly the same machine and I also have an iMac G3 600 Mhz still in daily use. The blue dalmation is a wonderfull and beautifull machine. I would keep it or sell it at a high enough price since it is a sort of collectors item.

6. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

I'll take it from you.. pm me if you're interested

7. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

I really need the directions more in layman's terms, thanks but you lost me.

8. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

I know the Dalmatian is not as common and I have not made any attempt to sell. I thought there used to be an area here to sell. Couldn't find it!
    I don't want to be greedy, I want a good home for it, how much should I ask?

9. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

That is what I wanted to do, that is why I posted here.

10. chuckcalo macrumors regular

I'd take it! I've been surfing these great forums lately as I installed OSX on my Aspire One merely because I can't afford a Mac and I had this little machine I bought with the money I made last summer. It's running great and all although I always wanted to have my own Mac I could just give it to my girlfriend as she wants one badly and I could keep my Aspire One so we would be both happy. Just my 2c.

11. majapapaya thread starter macrumors member

majapapaya

Changing minds

Some of you have mentioned selling it because of it being a rare model, I think I will give that a shot. That way I know someone REALLY wants it. I wasn't thinking of giving it away through macrumors and actually just found a place in Queens, Materials for the Arts, a donation site for artists, schools, etc... http://www.mfta.org/.
    That will be the way I'll go if, I don't SELL it.
    Still need help cleaning her out but I don't want to lose all the apps.
    Thanks all of you!!!

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Keep it until you have your new mac. When you start your new machine up for the first time you will be able to migrate your old data and apps with the migration manager. It used to be with a firewire cable but since apple now is building models without firewire ports there will possibly be another way to connect.

An other way to save your data and apps is a clone or a copy of your built in hard drive to an external. Get a drive with firewire (and usb) since the usb ports on that model are still the slow usb1 ports wich means copying will take forever if you go that route.

13. Gioman macrumors newbie

Copying the files is easy stuff. Either the migration stuff, or external drives, or even optical media.....

But as I understand it, you want to take out the personal stuff without clearing out everything and therefore those drivers/apps necessary for your hardware... I cannot think of an automated, quick and efficient way to do it. However, you could delete the personal folders one-by-one (although there might be a lot of stuff in your Library) or create a new (admin) account and delete your current one.....

or?

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Put it on eBay for $0.99 someone will buy it for that price!:apple: