Old iMac G5, black screen on startup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flenix, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Flenix macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

The other day, I got a free iMac G5. When I got it, it was literally the machine only - no mouse, no keyboard... even the RAM and HDD was removed!

Anyways, I pinched an official 512mb RAM stick from an old powermac G5 I have kicking around, and put in a spare blank small HDD. Powered it up, and got that good ol' chime - then, nothing.

There's no sign of it doing anything, but the power light does stay on. The screen stays black, not even a backlight.

On Yahoo Answers, someone suggested there might be a dead PRAM battery. Thought it seemed a little strange, but I had replacement batteries spare so changed it just in case, and the issue wasn't fixed.

I've checked the caps, they're all absolutely fine.

It's a 2004 model I believe. 17" A1058 - shipped with 512mb ram and a 160GB HDD. Currently using a different 512mb stick (still Apple) and a blank 80GB drive. There's no OS installed but I've got a copy of Leopard waiting for it if I can get the screen on.

Anyone got anything to suggest? I don't want to spend tonnes on it but I wouldn't mind spending a little to fix it myself. At the end of the day I'll probably sell it once it's working (specs aren't high enough for the kind of stuff I would do with it), so it has to be worth whatever I spend on fixing it.

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Is this an iMac with an iSight camera built into the top of the front bezel? Have you attempted to reset the PRAM and SMU?

To reset the PRAM:
    • Connect your iMac to power
    • Hold Command+Option+P+R while pressing the power button
    • Keep holding the 4 keyboard keys until you hear a second, usually louder, chime
    • Release all 4 keys

This Apple KBB article walks you through some basic troubleshooting, including resetting the SMU, with an iMac G5.

3. Flenix, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

Flenix thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that, but I don't have a Mac keyboard. It's not an iSight model though.
    Any ideas what keys I should use from my generic cheap windows keyboard?

EDIT: Tried the KB article. I've only got one button there so apparently my SMU is reset automatically by unplugging it, but nothing on that article helped. When I put in the power cable the first LED came on, when I powered it up the second one came on. As far as that article knows, everything works.

EDIT 2: Found out with windows it should be winkey and alt instead of command and option. Tried it, and nothing happened. No chime or anything, so guessing it didn't work. But, I had replaced the PRAM battery before, which I would assume would have reset the PRAM.

I get the feeling either the screen or the graphics card is probably dead. Anything else I can try before I resign myself to that?

4. Saltymac macrumors member

Try a second monitor and see if you get anything on it. Check your ram again. Go to Everymac and download the user guide for it and read about troubleshooting.