Old iMac to new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Resoman, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Resoman macrumors newbie

I've just gotten authorization from the wage earner in the family to replace my old iMac with a new one, and will pick up the new model tomorrow. So, how does one transfer the roughly 250GB of programs and other files to the new computer? I'm sure this kind of swap goes on all the time but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Thanks,
    Gary,
    Iowa City

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Hi Gary,

You'll want to use a piece of software in your Mac called Migration Assistant. When you turn on your new iMac for the first time and go through the setup options, it will ask you if you want to transfer your data now or later. (That is Migration Assistant.)

Rather then transferring the data over wi-fi, it will greatly speed up the process if you connect your new Mac to your old Mac with a ethernet cable.

Migration Assistant makes it very easy to do.

Hope this helps. If not, let us know and I'll be glad to help out.

Cheers,
    Bryan

3. Resoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Bryan,

This sounds pretty doable!

Gary

4. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Another option is to use the same built-in software, Migration Assistant, to migrate your files, settings and apps from a Time Machine backup. If you have been using Time Machine on your old Mac to back up to an external disk drive, just connect that drive to your new Mac and migrate from the TM backup.

Works very well.

5. HKTraveler macrumors newbie

Instead of transferring things over, I just did a clean install and copied just the files I need over. Fastest way for me was to connect the two computers through Firewire cable with a Firewire to Thunderbolt converter. Very quick to copy 250G!

6. boatcapt macrumors member

Along these same lines, say I have a external HD that stores my movies and a few pics. Do I just leave this unplugged during this process? And once the transfer is complete between the computers, plug it back in and everything should be as it was?

7. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Another slick way to switch Mac's is to use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your old Mac's hard drive to your new Mac's hard drive. You need decent broadband to do this though. Also hopefully your old Mac can be upgraded to Yosemitee. If so then do this first.

Next, there might be system files that your new Mac needs that are not on you old Mac's hard drive. So you should then reinstall Yosemitee on your new Mac by restarting while holding down the command and R keys. You'll see the option to install Yosemitee. That will give you the correct system configuration.

I'm not sure if you have Mavericks installed on a Yosemitte Mac what will happen so it's better not to go there.

8. boatcapt macrumors member

I can upgrade if needed, it's a late 2011 MBP.