Old iMac to new TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iDefConV, Jul 2, 2012.

1. iDefConV macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

First off, I wasn't sure whether to place this here, or over at the 'Peripherals' section, but since it's probably more of an iMac related issue, I put it here.

Now, I recently bought a brand new plasma tv, and my idea was to hook up my iMac so I could play games and browse the web on my 51". Only problem with that is that it's a pretty old one, it's a MA710ZH/A from 2006. But since it has a mini-DVI port, I figured I'd just buy some adapters and it would work. I bought a mini-DVI-to-VGA, and then a VGA-to-SCART because I was told the DVI-to-HDMI wouldn't work, and a VGA-to-HDMI wasn't available. When I came home and hooked it up, my mac's screen relolution popped to a 800x600 something, and the port on the TV read 'No Connection'. Do I need some type of resolution converter, or is my set-up simply too old to properly function? I know they made mini-DVI-to-Video adapters, but was also told that those are currently discontinued.

Thanks!

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

More details about the iMac are required if we are to give you a full assesment, ie. Model(21.5", 27"), year (2010,2011) etc.
    Apple don't allow all of their models to output and input so this information is critical.

3. theSeb, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

MA710ZH/A from 2006 (But I can't find much on this model number despite scouring everymac.com)

OP, which of these is your computer?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

Edit:

It could be this one?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17.html

4. iDefConV thread starter macrumors newbie

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You probably need to match the resolution, and it's still unclear if your iMac has the ability to do the resolution needed for a regular 1080 or 720 p HDTV via HDMI.

I'd suspect your TV also has a VGA port though; you might have better luck with that. Then experiment with different resolutions. And try SwitchResX; it's actually on sale at mupromo.com today.