Old iMac USB Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working On Late 2012 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by EricGandolfe, Mar 12, 2014.

1. EricGandolfe macrumors newbie

Hello all! I went to the thrift store today and picked up one of the old iMac USB keyboards. The Apple USB Keyboard (M2452) to be specific. I plugged it into my late 2012 Mac Mini and it works just fine, but none of the shortcuts do. F12 for example takes me to my dashboard instead of turning my volume up. Does this keyboard just have different shortcuts or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. teejaysyke macrumors regular

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, there's lots of limitations with that oldest USB keyboard. No arrow keys, delete has limited choices, and as you have discovered, there's not good support for some of the hardware keys that you would think are standard, like volume adjustment. It's just a couple of generations too old. It can be used just as a keyboard, as long as you accept that some hardware functions just aren't there...

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

When I bought a keyboard for my MBP, the same happened to me - F12 did dashboard, no volume keys etc. I was able to remap the keys by going to system preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard shortcuts and remapping them there.