Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricGandolfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Hello all! I went to the thrift store today and picked up one of the old iMac USB keyboards. The Apple USB Keyboard (M2452) to be specific. I plugged it into my late 2012 Mac Mini and it works just fine, but none of the shortcuts do. F12 for example takes me to my dashboard instead of turning my volume up. Does this keyboard just have different shortcuts or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, there's lots of limitations with that oldest USB keyboard. No arrow keys, delete has limited choices, and as you have discovered, there's not good support for some of the hardware keys that you would think are standard, like volume adjustment. It's just a couple of generations too old. It can be used just as a keyboard, as long as you accept that some hardware functions just aren't there...

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
When I bought a keyboard for my MBP, the same happened to me - F12 did dashboard, no volume keys etc. I was able to remap the keys by going to system preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard shortcuts and remapping them there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.