Old iOmega REV Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by user1690, Nov 18, 2014.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right spot, if not feel free to move it! :)

I dusted off my old iomega 35GB REV drive and decided to start using it, would come in handy for some small backups. I have run into a problem however. The filesystem is UDF and the Mac OS (10.10) reports it is read only. I cannot format the REV disk through disk utility as it acts as if the drive doesnt exist and attempting to format/manipulate the REV disk through Terminal throws one of the following errors:

Permission Denied.
    -OR-
    Device sector size 2352 should be a multiple of sector size 2048ECMA-167/3 3/8.8.1: block size must be multiples of 512 bytes

Command i am using: sudo newfs_udf -v REV -r 2.01 /dev/disk6s0 (just using disk6 gives a Permission Denied error, trying other revisions also fails)

As far as i am aware, if i had the REV Tools application for Mac i may be able to format the REV disk so that it is read/write capable however the only link i can find to these tools leads to Iomega which directs me to the Lenovo website which just basically says 'We dont got that anymore'

(Link i found, that unfortunately doesnt work: http://macdownload.informer.com/rev-tools/download/ )

I have tried a Windows variant but it just formatted in UDF and didnt solve anything.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Just to bump this a little bit, incase anyone else wants to use a REV Drive with anything over 10.7? Forget it. Unless you can write drivers for 64bit Mac OS (10.8, 10,9. 10.10 ...)

I managed to get my hands on the drivers i needed (Thanks to ebay seller rivalcomputers) however they were in 32bit only and i didnt want to have to reboot to an older Mac OS version just to use the drive. The drivers, whilst 32bit on Intel platforms also included PowerPC (Universal, yay!) So my solution was to just buy a PowerMac (Plus it was kind of a good excuse to setup a fileserver with it too).

So i went and bought a G5, installed the REV Drivers and viola! Heck i could even boot the Mac OS off of a REV Disk if i wanted now :D

Anywho... The point of this bump really is to provide drivers to anyone who may want them. REV Tools are the universal drivers and work up to 10.7 in 32bit mode only, i also managed to find some PowerPC only drivers too which i also tested and work just as good as REV Tools.

The difference between the two is that the REV tools will format in UDF and the PowerPC drivers will format in HFS.

So take your pick, and have fun with your REV Drives :p

REV Tools: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tf7850pchls7ei7/10.5_REV_Installer.zip

PowerPC Solutions ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/download/oag85w244qd88mw/REVSolutions.zip

Sidenote: If OS X Complains that the Solutions ISO may damage your system? Please rest assured it will not, i have personally tested this multiple times and my system is fine.

Anything wrong with the links? Let me know and i'll fix it! :)