old iPhone activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Jul 22, 2009.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

sorry for the bit of a read but it is not that long and i would really appreciate some help. i tried searching but i felt this was easier for everyone

so i have an iPhone 3G and my brother has been using my old original iPhone 2G as an iPod touch. recently i dropped mine in the water so i took his to see if i could pop my sim in and use it. well when i went to turn his on it gave me the connect to itunes screen so i did and it basically asked me to restore the phone. so then i did that but then it wanted to activate it so i put my sim in from my 3g but it said a new plan had to be placed on it and it would wipe my old plan and start a new one. i didnt want to do that so i just canceled. so now fast forward a few weeks and i got a new 3g by paying the repair price and everything is working fine. except the iphone 2g. at this point it is turned off and if i turn it on it will ask to connect to itunes.

what can i do here

i know there is a way to use the 2g as an ipod touch basically but i cant figure out how to do it. also i need to update that 2g to 3.0 but i dont want to go through the process of activating it and then going to 3.0 then having to activate it again

so basically. what is the easiest method to go about getting it powered on and working on 3.0 as an ipod touch

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Jailbreak it. It will bypass the activation and get 3.0 running.

3. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i tried that a while ago when i was still using the 2g as my phone and i temporarily bricked it so i don't really want to do that. i know there has to be a legit way to do it