Old Iphone as an ipod, given to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dino451, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Dino451 macrumors 6502

I will be receiving a iphone 3g from a relative. I DON'T plan on using it as a phone at all. I understand it can be used an ipod, I have a few problems. I know that a iphone needs to be activated in itunes, the problem is I will not get the sim card with the phone and have been researching this a little bit and found out itunes wont let me use it unless activated. An att store is within walking distance, can I get a blank sim from them just so I can activate it in itunes? Anyway to use the iphone on my system so it syncs with my apps etc..,without a sim? Any help is appreciated.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

It doesn't need to be activated at all. Just make sure the sim is removed and you can sync it to iTunes.

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Just make sure they send it already activated.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Right... as long as it's been used as a phone in the past (I assumed it's someone's old iPhone?), then no activation is needed. If they're sending you a brand new 3G that you want to use as an iPod, that will be a little different.

5. Dino451 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a used phone that was used as a phone on att. I will be syncing it to my PC which will require a restore(I think). And I will not get the sim with it, I think he wants to keep it. Since it is my PC and not his, I was wandering if the activation problem exists in this case.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Nope! You're good to go. Just plug it in, his restore... and smooth sailing. You basically have a super iPod touch. ;)

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I don't remember what exactly you have to do, but i think you do need an ATT sim card. I did this with my iPhone 3G when I used it as an iPod.

8. Dino451 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I spent a good hour on google trying to figure this out. Should have come here first.:(

9. Dino451 thread starter macrumors 6502

If this is the case I may walk to my local ATT store and see if they will give/sell me a blank sim.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

*sigh* If you take out the sim, it works just fine. There's no reason to get a blank SIM. The only iPhones that needed blank sims were the first generation.

http://techie-buzz.com/featured/convert-old-iphone-to-ipod-touch.html

No problem. This is one of those questions that seem difficult but are actually very simple.

Take out the sim. :D