Old iPhone Defect/Broken: Want to return

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aradian7, Aug 1, 2008.

1. aradian7 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have an old iPhone which has some sort defect such that it doesn't turn and overheats when I charge it. I want to return it.

However, the closest apple store is in Canada: Montreal. Do you think I might be able to get a replacement there without having an Rogers account?

Thanks.

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

No, no I don't.

3. aradian7 thread starter macrumors newbie

?

Not very helpful... What can I do with a 400$ piece of hardware that is defective besides return it (still under warranty) and yield a new one. Does anyone have any experience with returning Original iPhones post 3G release? I think that if one were to return it to a store in the U.S., they could get a refurbished original iPhone. However, the problem is the distance--I want to be able to return my product under warranty at the Montreal Location. Any ideas?

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

That warranty might not be valid. In the States it is void if you don't have a valid account with AT&T, I'm not sure if that is the same in Canada (with Rogers) but you might want to look into that.

5. aradian7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have returned an original iPhone (Pre-3G release) to the Apple store in Albany, NY WITHOUT having an AT&T account. I simply came in, flashed my receipt and product and they gave me a new one no questions asked. Thus, I assume the warranty must still be okay.

The phone (which is currently broken) was unlocked, but there is no way of knowing that since it won't even turn on/charge.

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

Apple stores in Canada will have nothing to do with a first gen iPhone as it was never sold here.

7. aradian7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. What I'm really asking is...if, for example, an apple store in the US ran out of Original iPhone stock and someone came in to replace it, would they upgrade them to the new model? How does that work?

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You could try calling Apple Support and see what they have to say? Just trying to help...

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well if ur in US, just go in to a AT&T store, flash yo reciept, n get a new product(like u did earlier) n it should be done...

but i also have a question, i recently got a USED 16GB 1st gen iPhone, i was wondering if i dont have the box it came wit/reciept, pretty much ANYTHING, cept the actual phone, if it brakes n its still under warrenty can i just get a refurb one?

10. aradian7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but the thing is... I have no AT&T account. Nor do I have a Rogers account. Ideally, I'd like them to say "Oh, well come up to Montreal and we'll give you a iPhone 3G without seeing your account papers", but I very much doubt that. Obviously, driving down to Albany is what I really don't want to do, so perhaps i could bitch at Apple Support enough so that they give me an appointment where they could give me something....

Has anyone been able to leave an apple store with a new 3G without signing up for a phone plan?