old iphone without data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chickdigger802, Jun 9, 2010.

1. chickdigger802 macrumors regular

After I get my iphone 4, I'm planning on giving my old iphone 3g to my bro.

Can he simply swipe in his sim card and use it fine without a data plan?

The AT&T site is fairly confusing, in which they say that they have the rights to force you to use a data plan if your on an iphone without one.

So can someone give me their personal experiences on this issue?

2. Krayd2k macrumors member

I think u can it will be pay per use I believe which would come out to be quite expensive if he uses the network

3. chickdigger802 thread starter macrumors regular

Well his current phone has data usage 'locked off' so wouldn't that apply to an iphone because he's just swapping out a sim card?

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Search the forum a little. You'll find people that have no issue and you'll find people who woke up w/ a data plan automatically added by AT&T.

Either way, there is lots of discussion on this topic.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

AT&T requires iPhones to have a data plan. And I'm pretty sure you can't put any ol' sim in it.

6. Krayd2k macrumors member

My wife used my old iPhone with her sim card and no data plan with no problems she had it for like a year

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Well, SIMs are a universal standard, so yeah...you can.

But that has nothing to do w/ the data plan, that's on the account. AT&T sees an iPhone IMEI, they slap data on your account...in most cases.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I have three kids all who now have hand-me-down iPhone 2G's on our family plan. None of them have data plans on them for over a year.

From what I understand, the iPhone 2G is the only one of the iPhone series that AT&T will allow you to opt-out of a data plan. I have seen 3G and more obviously, 3GS users, who have data plans inadvertently tacked on by AT&T, even when they've changed their APN so that they wouldn't even touch AT&T cellular data.

Now with the iPhone 4 coming out, I hope they will change their tune, at least about the iPhone 3G model. The iPhone 2G's are getting harder to come by, at least in decent condition.