Old iPod charger ok for 3G S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by earlycuyler, Jun 22, 2009.

1. earlycuyler macrumors member

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered. I apologize in advance if its a dumb question.

I have a 30gb video iPod (not sure what gen, but I got it for Christmas '05). I am wondering whether the AC charger for that iPod will work for the iPhone.

I see no apparent reason that it wouldn't. The cord is the same. The plug is different, but its a plug.

I just thought I would ask in case someone knows my assumption to be wrong.

TIA

2. Greenman85 macrumors regular

I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it fits in the port correctly it should be good to go.

3. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

That's what I've been thinking. I just wanted to ask the crowd to make sure there wasn't a "OMG don't do it i totally fried my iPhone doing that" response out there. :D

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You won't fry your iPhone but it may not work. They've changed their chargers since then. This is the same reason some accessories don't work with the iPhone.

5. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

Ah, so I guess if I get a charge using it I'm good. Otherwise I am going to have to pony up for a second charger.

6. uhhitsjames macrumors member

It works fine. My dog chewed on my phone wire and it stopped working. I used the iPod one for a couple weeks, but just upgraded to 3GS so I'm back to the normal wire again.