Old iPod help

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Beester15, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Beester15 macrumors newbie

I am trying to get an appraisal of this iPod, but I can't find anything or anyone to help. The model number is A1059 and I have the original packaging. Here is a picture of it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Appraisal of a 4th-gen iPod? How about....$5?

3. Beester15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Serious?

4. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Serious.

The best appraisal mechanism is .. what is the market willing to pay for it?

An appraisal means squat otherwise. Absolutely squat.

Look at eBay and see what similar items have gone for, and you know what? It's still a crap shoot.

This whole thing of "what are these posters worth?","what is a boxed //c worth?" .. etc.

It's superfluous madness. If you get the right two or three people duking it out on your auction, it's worth whatever they beat each other over the head for, to ONE of them, ultimately. Does that mean they're worth that much? Not always. Go ahead, list two items. You'll find the bidder that want's it really really bad, and then the next will just want it up to a point. They're usually not the same.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ignore lannister80.

Is it used? Or am I just seeing all the dust from your camera? I ask because I see marks on the case, the dock, and the iPod itself.

Where's the top of the box?

An iPod with a clean back (meaning absolutely NO scratches) can easily fetch more than $100 just on it's own.

6. tdiaz macrumors 6502

That's a box sleeve that goes around the cube shaped box. I'd have to figure at least the box exists considering the great condition that the sleeve and software/manual package is in.

7. Beester15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will take more pictures in a bit. I have the whole box the sleeve is on top of the Bo's. I have the owners manual and all the accessories. The iPod itself is used and there are scratches on the back, but the front of the iPod is pretty clean. Thank you everyone for your input.
    Mike

8. Beester15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, and as far as it is worth as much as someone will pay for it, I understand. I am just trying to get a ballpark number for it. My interest is peaked because the people at the apple store went nuts over it.
    Thank you again.

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought he meant for, I don't know, historical value. The word "appraisal" threw me off. Apologies.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No worries.

11. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

I dunno, I don't think you need to apologize. I was relieved to find someone that felt the way I do. I'm getting pretty tired of these sorts of threads myself. Seems to be a MacRumors thing - there's a history of this sort of question here, so newbies feel emboldened to ask for themselves. I don't find an echo chamber of rare!l@@k!! posts helpful or interesting.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll go back to yelling at kids to get off my lawn now. ;)

12. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Generally the best way to find the market value of anything is:

Go to eBay, search for item, look at the prices the item has sold for over the last 6 months. Not just the price the item was listed for, but the price the item SOLD for.

13. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Remote controlled sprinklers are an entertaining appliance. Hours of fun. ;)

14. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

its not worth much unless its sealed. and its a fourth gen...

15. Matt.H macrumors member

The main factor this iPod has going for it is that its all black. Apple never released a black iPod 4th gen (apart from the U2 one with a red clickwheel).

Whilst I agree with everyone else re. price. The colour intrigues me.

Is it a custom paint job/colorware/case or something?

16. Beester15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help. The reason for me posting this is that I could not find this iPod on eBay. What I mean is that I cannot find this iPod with the packaging. I even took it to a Mac store and the people there said that they haven't seen one with the packaging in a loooong time. So, when I googled it, I couldn't find it anywhere. That could be because I don't know the name of the packaging theme. Anyways, thank you for your help. Time for me to go play on my neighbors lawn. :D

17. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Could be custom

Plenty of third party iPods faces and buttons were made. Any color combination was achievable.

18. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

ross1.PNG

19. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409472

Attached Files:

20. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Its not that hard to find that type of sleeve, its the first box of the 4th generation iPod. I find it interesting that even the dock is black! Painted your self?

21. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

As others have noted, being all black it a little unusual.

I wonder if the OP can post the serial number or better yet the "about" screen to see what it thinks it is. A picture of the back labeling would be good too.