Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santaji

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Mumbai, India
I have a first generation iPod touch running iOS 2, Whenever i try to install a app from the App Store it says i need iOS 3 or newer, But i am worried that upgrading to iOS 3 will make my iPod slow. My brother has a iPhone 3G that became almost unusable after he upgraded to iOS 4, My iPod Touch is already a bit slow sometimes, Like when switching between open pages in Safari, And gets really bad battery life when the Wi-Fi is on. Will iOS 3 make this worse?
Or should i just jailbreak it and install this Whited00r thing? Will it run better then iOS 3? Anybody here have a first gen iPod Touch running iOS 3 or Whited00r, Please give me some advice.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I have a first gen touch with OS3. It's worth it to upgrade since it's free. It runs fine. I plan on using it in a car eventually that has an iPod input. Otherwise it would be better to upgrade with a new model. There should be a new one out next month and some good prices on 4th gen models.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I really didn't notice any major changes in performance when going from iOS2 to iOS 3 on my first gen iPod touch. I would just update to iOS 3 and see if you like it. There is no reason to pay to upgrade to whole a new device yet, if you still find the old one to work fine.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Actually I have a first generation iPod touch. I used for quite some time on IOS 3.1.3
It ran fine for a while on that, but then it began to get slow (a restore showed the same results after some time). I decided to try out Whited00r. So far I'm not having any problems with it. I have noticed that some small things like page swipes are smoother than before. Granted, it has helped, but don't expect it to move lightning quick like the newer iPod touch. But for a slight boost I'd go for it.

OldSkoolGirl

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
As far as I understand, 1st gen iPod Touches can go up to iOS 3 without a problem. This SHOULD mean that you would be able to do it easily within iTunes. Are you on a recent iTunes release OP?

I came across this thread because I'm having a similar issue. I also want to upgrade to iOS 3. Doing that is tricky though, because I am on a 2nd gen and, by default, iTunes wants me to upgrade to iOS 4. Does anyone know a way around this? And no, I do not want to get a new one either (because I use it MAINLY for my Evernote reading list and taking quick notes on the go, so there's no real ned for the latest and greatest).

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.