Old is new - again

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Apr 29, 2015.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Forgot what it was like browsing the web in Opera 10.10.6795.

Started using it again on my new 17" PB because I still have it customized and I don't have as much need to use my customizations in T4Fx on this Mac.

Still loads pretty quick and still looks good at full screen.

Running userscripts to kill off ads and various other little things.

Attached Files:

2. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I use Opera on my Gen 1 iPad and it hasn't crashed once. Near-perfect browsing experience on a supposedly obsolete device. Is the PPC version still updated?

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh no. That stopped around 10.7 or so.

10.10 Beta was the most stable version. 10.20 was close. 10.52 and above is where things got dicey. 10.6.3 was the last release while 10.7 something was the last PowerPC testing version.

As you got past 10.5 things still worked, but the browser had an issue where if it crashed it would not release. You could not force quit the app and you could not reload it. The only thing you could do was restart. 10.5 and above also had a delayed typing issue. You'd start typing and five minutes later your text would show up. Made it very difficult to browse.

The problem with not being able to use 10.5 and above was that those versions had a higher User Agent for Firefox.

10.10 and 10.20 used FireFox 3 for their UA. This pretty much broke Facebook for me and is what forced me to search and find TenFourFox.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Opera uses Firefox as their user agent? :confused: What? Why not use Opera? Why Firefox? Opera is not Firefox, why should it appear as Firefox?

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Opera allows you to choose either Opera, Internet Explorer or Firefox as the User Agent. Or at least they did from versions 10 and below.

You can set it per site, or globally.
    Because some sites demand specific modern browsers.

In 2008-2010 Facebook made enough changes that it broke Opera 10.10. I wanted to continue using Opera but with the Opera User Agent there were pieces of Facebook that were either broken or did not appear at all. And if you are "X" amount of versions out of date FB will nag at you.

Changing to the Firefox UA in Opera did me no good because it only went as high as Firefox 3 and Facebook considers that to be too old.

Hence I switched to TenFourFox because it presents itself as a later version of Firefox to websites.

Generally, there are any number of good reasons to change the user agent of your browser. If you present yourself as an iPhone for instance (like Classila does) you can get mobile content. That's just one example.

Another is to stop websites from nagging you about updating.

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I've been using Opera on my PPC's for a long time.

So 10.10.6795 is the last version for ppc? Can you link?

I've been using 10.63 as I thought it was last version for ppc. (where I got below)

http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/mac/

7. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Tom, if 10.63 is working for you, stay with it. 10.10 is a beta version of 10 and is about .53 versions lower than what you are using right now.

It's just for myself I never found anything above 10.20 to be stable and useable for any length of time so I stick to 10.10.