Old keyboard looks ugly now

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 25, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

Went to best buy the other day and looked back at the MBPs and I feel like the keyboard looks really ugly. Even kind of round and wobbly (even if I never though they were wobbly before the rMB)

Even using my iMac keyboard.... I REALLY REALLY hope they put out a new iMac keyboard the same style as this one....I'd buy it so fast.

Anyone else feel the same way?

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Nope. The new keyboard is a total disaster. Hopefully it gets scrapped entirely and never comes back, never mind spreads further.

3. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Eh, I don't think it's ugly but I really prefer the new keyboard personally.

4. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I like them both, with a slight tip to the new keyboard. I'm just faster with it. Or at least I think I am.

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

adapt. apple always has (and undoubtedly always will) move forward on it's own terms. we go with it, or fall behind...

personally, am waiting for the new design features to migrate to the 'pro' line.
    3 years? less? we'll see. but the keyboard, once u get used to it, is very nice...

6. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Yes. Just about every part of the MBA and MBP looks bulky and dated compared to the new MB.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I like the new keyboard.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The new keyboard looks great, but I personally think the old one is better to type on.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Please explain why it is a total disaster. Your personal opinion is just that - your opinion. I can type over 80 words a minute with the new keyboard, nothing has changed. Some just need to learn to adapt, and if they don't choose to don't buy the product.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

By definition of the word disaster the new keyboard is clearly not one.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you sir are the grammar police. This makes me feel OCD...wait...

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Grammar police, no. If people start using words in other ways than their common and accepted definition then what's the point of even using words.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

as long as you understand the meaning of the words that is all the matters.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

If I understand the definition of the words but the person using the words does not and thinks that the words mean something else then clearly that is not all that matters because the person using the words thinks they are saying one thing when in fact the words that they are using are saying something else.

15. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Not to get between the love spat you and mattopotamus are having, but I'm amazed this sentence has no comma! :D

16. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

LOL, I know. I have two excuses neither of which are good; I typed it on my iPhone and laziness.

18. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Hahahaha! Common man, looks ugly? So what if I were to say because I'm a bigger guy the MBR looks "girly" like a cute purse. I don't understand why a entire thread is needed for this as it's all "subjective"! And you are entitled to think it looks ugly. But I mean don't make yourself sound like "One of those Apple people" so to speak. It's subjective. Funny thing the 3 times I've been in the Apple Store ALL of the male employees I talked to while playing with it said ehhhh it's nice but I would get a MBPR, only the one female said she liked it. See, "subjective". I think the new MBR is a sexy machine. But common the "regular" keyboard looks ugly all of a sudden lol.

Brb let me go throw my MBPR and my MBA in the trash :)

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

lies! There was no "sent from iPhone" at the end :p

20. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

none of this matters. this IS the new keyboard. and, if apple is true-to-form, we'll eventually see it across the macbook line.

when people first moved from the old desktop mac keyboards to a macbook, they adapted. this is what we do...

one day, you'll be living on the new keyboard, and the 'old' macbook style will seem...old, uncomfortable.

life moves forward.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

Old keyboard looks ugly now

LOL, using Tapatalk and disabled the signature it automatically inserts on each post.

Curious if Apple patented the design so that other manufactures would not be able to use it. I couldn't imagine them not doing so.

22. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

You are the 10% minority.

23. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

Well, I think they keyboard is better sized, better looking, has a better back light and a better mechanism underneath it. If it were to come to the MBP is would be the same but with better travel. So....I think you'd actually like it if it came to the MBP. Travel is literally it's only drawback, and then it's up to you if you mind or not.

24. Altis macrumors 68020

Perhaps, but compromises in the new MacBook keyboard were made due to the form factor that other devices might not need. I could see it going to the other MacBooks, though.

There are a lot of people who do value a keyboard that's nice to type on, even if it costs a little bit of thickness to the device. Having some key travel and tactility can go a long way to the feel of typing and even to preventing RSI.

I've only tried the nMB keyboard for a few minutes, but I found it easier to mistype by pressing an adjacent key and the lack of travel/sensation to be a bit too much of a compromise. I really liked the previous MacBook Pro keyboards and some of the Lenovos.

Disclaimer: Typing experience is a high priority for me on computers. My keyboards combined cost more than the nMB.

25. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I was worried at first since I do a lot of writing, but I really like the new keyboard. And as some others have said, the old style on the MBA and the MBP (my wife and daughter have those) does now seem a bit dated. And, I totally love the new back-lighting system. I hated how bright the glow was around the keys. Much better to have most of the light under just the letters. In fact I'm typing in the dark at this moment and really like it so much better than my previous 13" rMBP.