Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I've needed to get my wife an iPhone 6 as she's using an old iPhone that no longer works well.

Go online today in the morning and reserve an iPhone 6 for pickup between 2 and 3pm at the Apple Store. Here in Canada we can reserve online and then pay in store. Very easy assuming you can find stock.

Get to the mall at 2:15pm and happen to be the only one in the reservation line outside the store. Within minutes there's a few others behind me. Literally at 2:20pm an older couple walks by and in a disgusted voice the lady says to her husband loud enough that we can hear, "these people are obsessed waiting like this".

So I challeneged her to physical combat. Lol just kidding. But I went in the store 5 minutes later and was back in my car at 2:30pm. Very easy experience to be honest. I still remember the iPhone 4 launch. It was a disaster at the store I was at. Still wake up with cold sweats thinking about it.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm sorry for your experience. Listen, do you need anything? Are you okay? Remember, you have a lot to live for!

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
So an old lady was being an old lady.

That's the point of this thread right? :confused:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Your response could have been:
Bet there was a bigger line when you bought your horse and buggy.
Bet there was a bigger line when you were getting on the Titanic.
Bet there was a bigger line when you were crossing the Atlantic with Columbus.
Bet there was a bigger line........ :D:D:D

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I've needed to get my wife an iPhone 6 as she's using an old iPhone that no longer works well.

Go online today in the morning and reserve an iPhone 6 for pickup between 2 and 3pm at the Apple Store. Here in Canada we can reserve online and then pay in store. Very easy assuming you can find stock.

Get to the mall at 2:15pm and happen to be the only one in the reservation line outside the store. Within minutes there's a few others behind me. Literally at 2:20pm an older couple walks by and in a disgusted voice the lady says to her husband loud enough that we can hear, "these people are obsessed waiting like this".

So I challeneged her to physical combat. Lol just kidding. But I went in the store 5 minutes later and was back in my car at 2:30pm. Very easy experience to be honest. I still remember the iPhone 4 launch. It was a disaster at the store I was at. Still wake up with cold sweats thinking about it.

When you're her age you'll be saying the same. That's the part you don't know about.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Would have been hilarious if you challenged her and she pulled your maple leaf jersey over your head and started throwing handlers haymakers.

usmaak

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Your response could have been:
Bet there was a bigger line when you bought your horse and buggy.
Bet there was a bigger line when you were getting on the Titanic.
Bet there was a bigger line when you were crossing the Atlantic with Columbus.
Bet there was a bigger line........ :D:D:D

Now that's FUNNY. Really can't stop laughing! :D:D

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm 50. When I went to pick up my pre-order on launch day a very "mainstream" looking woman (likely a decade younger than me) stopped me on the way to the pick-up line and said "What's going on with this crazy line??" and I go "It's the annual iPhone launch." to which she replies "Wow. Kids these days. Crazy, right?" and I said "Yeah, it's real crazy." and then proceeded to walk into the store and get my phone. There were two people in front of me in the pre-order line. The walk-in line was out the door and around the block.

Moral? Age has nothing to do with it. Some people will get tech obsession and some won't.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I'm curious to know what the OP thinks constitutes an "old lady." My money is on a woman who's over 35 but under 50.

She was in her 70s.

The thread was not meant to be offensive. Perhaps the term old lady was offensive though so my apologies.

I laughed when it actually happened. We do look funny lined up outside the Apple Store more than a week after the launch.

I'm sorry if this became an old generation vs younger generation topic. Not my intention. I really just wanted to share my experience. Perhaps I shohld've articulated better.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm sick of old being taken as a negative. Nothing wrong with saying old lady (though I'd say old woman) if she was old. Nothing wrong with being old. :)

(No I'm not old yet. I'm 40, and hope to get to be old.)

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
This thread would've been a lot more interesting had OP actually challenged her to physical combat. "I demand satisfaction!"

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Please understand the the old have a right to have different opionins than you. Believe it or not, you WILL get old one day.

Lol I don't disagree with you. Most people won't share the same side of my opinions regardless of their age. But I still don't think that's the point of this thread if that's what you're trying to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.