Old Lady Pity - "iPod is DISABLED!"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thatmom, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thatmom macrumors newbie

Here's what happened. I didn't want kids downloading crappy songs onto my iPod touch. I put a password on. They tried to hack it - now I'm totally locked out.

My computer is an HP of course and I'm not the most computer literate person on the planet. I have been trying for an hour to restore, recover, RECYCLE this dumb thing and it still wont work.

Can anyone tell me how to get this thing working again? I don't even care if I don't have music on it - I just don't want to pay $30 to talk to someone at apple (what a joke)

2. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

3. thatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

that's probably a good idea - but it isnt going to bring back my system of a down!!!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hi thatmom,

First of all, welcome to MacRumors. :)

I want to make sure I understand correctly: you have a passcode lock enabled on your iPod touch, but no longer know the password? Now all you see if the red lock screen, is that correct?

...Or if you do know the password, will the iPod allow you to re-enter it after a certain time limit (it would say on the lock screen)?

Have you seen this Apple support article? http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

For what it's worth, it's better if you can find a way to "unlock" the iPod, because restoring it will erase everything on the device (is your music, media, etc. also in iTunes on your computer?). Also, do you connect the iPod to your computer to sync regularly?

How have you tried restoring it? If all else fails, enter recovery mode and restore the iPod through iTunes. Apple has a really good article detailing this process (with pictures), here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Let us know if it works. Good luck!

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

:D
    Does it say anything when you plug it in? It should unlock when you sync it.

6. thatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys.

To add to my troubles - for some reason itunes isnt even seeing my ipod. the computer beeps when i plug it in but it wont come up on itunes.

and the computer we had itunes origionally died about 6 months ago.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Then this would be the first time you're connecting this iPod (any iPod) to this computer?

And the HP doesn't recognize the iPod? Do you see the iPod appear in "my computer"?

First of all, I think the problem you're running into is that your kids tried to guess your passcode so many times that the iPod has permanently locked itself, until it can be connected to the computer that it is synced with. However, it sounds like that computer is no longer around. As such, your new computer (the HP) can't see the iPod because it is locked with a passcode lock. I think your best bet may be to try entering recovery mode (the link is in my first post).

A few other thoughts: if you're using a USB hub, try connecting the Pod directly to a USB port on the computer. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed. If you have any anti-virus software installed on your computer, try temporarily disabling it.

There's also an Apple Support article for this issue of yours: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Is your HP a laptop? Is so, you could take it (and your iPod) to a Genius Bar.

8. thatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Eric - I should mail you cookies!!

The first time I did what the article said it didnt work (I think it was operator error) Now its thinking away. I'm SO CLOSE. Thank you so much for fixing this for me!

We are going on a 2 hour drive tomorrow, and I have one the the little input things, but we live outside of DC and its impossible to find an open radio station. Anyway, today found a "Bomb speaker" at the walmarts for 7 bucks. it works great - but after months of leaving the ipod alone - i decided it was time to try to get into it again.

Thanks so much for all your help!

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're very welcome. :) Let us know if you encounter any other problems.