old liquid damaged macbook

charleyd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Let me start off by saying I'm not super tech literate so I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terms.

I have an older Macbook, late 2009 model A1342. I had the thing in university, and about three months in, spilled a glass of diet Coke on it and well. RIP. I was a struggling student, who had just dropped 1200 on a computer, and so I couldn't afford to get it fixed. I financed a new laptop (a Dell, what a struggle bus), as I needed one for school, and my poor Mac got put to the side.

About a year or two later, it did power on, but the keyboard wasn't functional.

I know diet Coke + me being an idiot and basically letting the computer rot for nearly ten years means its definitely not salvageable, and if it was may not be worth the repair. But I'm wondering what I should do with it? I live in Canada, which I mention because I know it changes my options. But I'm wondering if there's anywhere to sell parts, or even just how to properly dispose of it. Like, I said, I don't know a lot about this so I probably sound stupid, but any advice would be appreciated.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I would recommend calling Apple Support to see if they can offer or suggest any recycling assistance for Canada (maybe Apple Store drop-off).

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Don't try hard.

You have a MacBook that has languished ~10 years of damage without any remediation. Worse, it wasn't something innocuous like water. It was diet soda which is similar to battery acid in terms of corrosive power. TEN YEARS.

Avoid putting much effort trying to squeeze a few bucks out of this. Your primary goal should be to get rid of this. It isn't a valuable parts machine either.

You have basically been carrying around a rotting corpse for 10+ years. It might have been worth something in 2010-11. Those days are long gone...