Old mac book or new ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xxdan182xx, Nov 26, 2008.

1. xxdan182xx macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying a macbook but i do not know witch one i want. Since my dell laptop right now is dying and is only 1 years old i was thinking of buying a macbook should i get the old one or the new one i am looking to spend about 1,250 but i am also getting apple care. so help me out here ! or should i wait ?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait? For what? The next update in six months?

3. xxdan182xx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

oh jeez not another one of these, please read the threads...

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Best price you'll get is this black friday when Apple stuff is discounted around $100-400, so I definitely wouldn't wait. Take advantage of the thanksgiving savings that won't come around again until next year.

I decided on the newer Macbook because it generated less heat than the older Macbook and I figure if I'm gonna use it in my lap I'd rather pay the extra money to avoid the discomfort. The sturdy aluminum frame was also important to me since plastic just doesn't have the same durability. If you can afford the new Macbook I wouldn't go for the older one.

I'd recommend looking over the reviews at Gizmodo, Arstechnica, and other big sites so you are aware of the issues with the latest Macbook. It isn't perfect but a lot of people are able to live with the compromises it made.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

PHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Four hundred? You must be joking.

Last year they did discounts of $51 and $101.

7. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I probably should have specified the country. Over here in Canada Best Buy is discounting stuff to even $350 if I remember and the Apple Stores have apparently been given the go ahead to price match. Not sure what the deals will be like in the states.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

I sweated over this, as my university was selling the last 2.4 revision white book for 899.

I chose the new MB because of the updated graphics card.

if this is not a problem for you, I'd go with previous 2.4ghz white or black MacBook. Firewire plus cheaper.

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Really, $350? on what?

10. rd261 macrumors regular

It depends on what you are going to be using the laptop for. For instance if you are planning on doing minor video editing, both laptops will work but the aluminum one will work a bit better. If you are planning on playing SOME games then get the aluminum. If you are planning on doing lots of video editing and playing lots of games then get the pro. For uses such as web browsing, email, word processing, youtube, photo editing, and such, then both machines will work great, and therefore I'll get the plastic one. About the heat issue, the 4th generation macbook uses the same processor as the new one (penryn) and while it may get a bit warm (all of them do anyways), it is not an issue (at least for me). Right know I have been using safai, itunes, microsoft word, and powerpoint for more than an hour and it is sitting comfortably on my lap. After all is done and said, the decision is yours. However, you should at least consider the plastic macbook, and if you can get the black one even better since is not as susceptible to cracking.

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

If I remember right it was off a Macbook Pro, but not sure if it was the new or old model. Wasn't paying much attention to it since I already got my Macbook a while ago.

Did a quick look to see what deals are happening in the states and found a 3 day black friday sale at Macmall with stuff up to like $1000 off. I've never purchased anything from this store, so can't recommend it, but since Apple stores are gonna do price matches it's worth a shot talking to your local Apple store.

Hmm just tried posting the link but it didn't work for some reason. If interested go to Macmall site and click on the 3 day black friday button at the top of the home page.