Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unkown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Right, well i don't know really anything to macs because i am new to them. But i have this old mac(Power Macintosh 7200/120 is all i know of it) and the problem is when i go to boot it up, it loads up all the extensions but once it gets to the last one or whatever number it is, the entire system reboots itself, and this continues in a loop until i just shut it off. I have no idea what is wrong with(other than it is probably too old and went bye bye). i can get past the smilie face and all that, but once those extensions load at the bottom and it hits this one it just reboots. I have tried looking at it but it reboots before it shows the icon. this is also very annoying because the internal sound is on x.X;; Can anyone please help?:(

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Right, well i don't know really anything to macs because i am new to them. But i have this old mac(Power Macintosh 7200/120 is all i know of it) and the problem is when i go to boot it up, it loads up all the extensions but once it gets to the last one or whatever number it is, the entire system reboots itself, and this continues in a loop until i just shut it off. I have no idea what is wrong with(other than it is probably too old and went bye bye). i can get past the smilie face and all that, but once those extensions load at the bottom and it hits this one it just reboots. I have tried looking at it but it reboots before it shows the icon. this is also very annoying because the internal sound is on x.X;; Can anyone please help?:(

How about booting with extensions disabled (hold down shift). Then it's a process of elimination to find the bad extension, if one is causing the reboot.

Otherwise, I'd say a reinstall is in order once you are able to get your data off the machine.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
First, try booting while holding down the shift key to disable extensions. Now comes the fun part, finding the offending extensions. Use the Apple Extensions Manager (I believe its in the Control Panels menu under the Apple Menu, it's been so long since I've used Mac OS 9) to isolate extensions by trial and error. If you're not able to make a good guess as to the offending extension(s) right away, I would recommend repeatedly sub-dividing the extensions, disabling a half at a time and then rebooting to narrow it down to the trouble maker(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.