Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spankypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
The situation:

• I set up a mac.com email address long ago, and opted not to pay for the service when it turned into .mac in '02
  • My account (on the me.com login page) is locked due to too many incorrect password attempts
  • I remember the password, and still use it to log in to the account for IM purposes
  • I don't remember the email address I associated it with (it was over a decade ago), and despite submitting a password reset and checking every old webmail account I can remember, I can't find it

How can I get back into this account to start using it as an Apple ID, with iCloud, etc? Any ideas?

mmthomas

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
old email not available

I have the same issue; my mac id associated email address in old and forgotten or out of business. How get the old mac.com ID up again? Is there any direct access to account maintenance people?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Unlike many of their competitors, Apple has people ready to talk to you on the phone about problems with their services. I suggest you go through support.apple.com or call Applecare on the phone. I doubt fixing your problem would take more than 10 minutes.

rhapsodyosx

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
Thank you, but I've already tried it. When a family member changes the account information and they are no longer around you evidently are locked out of it completely.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thank you, but I've already tried it. When a family member changes the account information and they are no longer around you evidently are locked out of it completely.

Your account was a sub account of a mobile me family pack? And the master account moved on to iCloud but your password is locked? When I moved my master .me account to icloud, I saw a warning that I could no longer "manage" sub accounts but I would still expect Apple to be able to reset a sub account password if the user ever forgot it.

mmthomas

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Me not Mac

I emailed my old mac.com address and it has been given away to another person. So there is no direct correlation between me.com and mac.com email addresses. I got a new me.com email address.

Strangely, I was able to keep the old mac.com email as ID for iCloud. The old email password worked for iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.