Old mac mini connecting to WPAWPA2-PSK wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Subjective-C, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Subjective-C macrumors newbie

I bought a very old mac mini in early 2010 from ebay. It is Apple Mac Mini 1.83GHz, Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB

I have just been using it on my kitchen counter to watch youtube videos while I cook.

It's been working fine when I was using LINKSYS RE6500 router.

But a couple of days ago, I changed the router to the Comcast XFinity 2-in-1 (Modem + Router) router, and my old mac mini becomes very very slow in wifi speed. Tests at ookla speed test only consistently give me 0.12mb/sec or 1mb/sec. As a result, I am almost not able to browse any website, let alone stream youtube.

I am using WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) wifi security mode with this XFinity 2-in-1 router. This is the only difference. So I am assuming the old mac mini does not quite like this mode.

The following picture shows the list of security mode available with this XFinity modem + router:

http://cdn9.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/img_548366be9a8c9.png

I will try out the other modes and see if it helps.

But, is the slow-down of my mac mini network due to this WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) security mode? If yes, is there anything we can do to this old mac mini such that it will improve the connection speed?

Thanks.