Old Mac Mini to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by awintersdaybyth, Jan 7, 2014.

1. awintersdaybyth macrumors newbie

I have an old core duo mac mini that I was hoping to wirelessly hook up to a new apple tv I got for Xmas.

I know the machines graphic card wont support airplay, but if I added an external HD (the internal storage is only about 120gb) would I be able to stream from that if I left the machine on?

2. rayward macrumors 68000

Yes. Just have iTunes open on the Mac Mini, pointed to your iTunes library on the external HDD, and your ATV will stream all your content from that over wifi.

3. awintersdaybyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah brilliant - thanks for the speedy reply!

4. davidoloan macrumors 6502

You also have to set up Homesharing in iTunes on the mini and "computers" on the Apple TV.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's when you want to browse the library on your Mac from appleTV's menu.
    If you kick the playback off from a computer and set it to AirPlay to appleTV, Home Sharing is not needed.

6. DaPhatty macrumors member

Pretty sure the OP stated his MM is old and does not support Airplay.

7. awintersdaybyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, forgot about that

Yes, you're right - Airplay isn't supported on the old machine as it's, well, old!

8. priitv8, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

priitv8 macrumors 68020

You are mixing things up! AirPlay is supported on all Mac-s that are capable of running a recent version of iTunes.
    AirPlay Mirroring requires special hardware, that's not present in older Macs.
    So with AirPlay, you can stream any movie or song to your aTV and it will be no big deal for any CPU. Ok, HD movies would call for either wired Ethernet or 802.11n wireless network card.
    But if you connect just your Mini and aTV via an ad-hoc network created by Mini, you shouldn't experience much problems as there will be no contention on this network.
    With AirPlay Mirroring you'd be able to beam your computer screen to appleTV.

9. awintersdaybyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah OK, I stand corrected! I thought it was the other way round, thanks for clarifying :)