Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Hello guys.

Question, we have a 2012 mac pro with the dual ethernet ports. This computer is a video server, we edit video and all the hard drives are connected to it. We would like to know if is possible to connect both ethernet ports to the routers and have the double of bandwidth, it is that possible?

Thank you!

Samford

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Reactions: chriz_r

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Link aggregation works, but to see full benefit your upstream device needs to support it too. If the switch portion isn't managed, you'll need to do some testing before and after to see if you're getting improved speed.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
Hello guys.

Question, we have a 2012 mac pro with the dual ethernet ports. This computer is a video server, we edit video and all the hard drives are connected to it. We would like to know if is possible to connect both ethernet ports to the routers and have the double of bandwidth, it is that possible?

Thank you!

Depending on your workflow and implematation, it may or may not work. As the above posters already noted, you're basically looking for link aggregation. However, on the server side, it can be tricky.

If you have your editors editing directly onto the servers at the sametime, basically writing and reading off the network directly, then it might night be enough. Gigabit ethernet doesn't have enough bandwidth even if you have one handling upstream and the other handling downstream.

However, if you're only using the mac pro as a media server, being that all the footage gets dumped in that computer and they only need to access it to copy the files, edit locally, then send back to to the server for processing and archiving, then gigabit is enough.

Also, if if you're working with RAW video or 4K or any low compression codecs, then you will still notice and hit the bandwidth limitation. For that kind of workflow, you'll have to start using 10Gigabit Ethernet (the ones on our mac pros are only 1 Gigabit. Unfortunately, such devices are hella expensive.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016

Hmm <$100 per system would be awesome. I forgot how much prices have gone down on these things. Thanks for that link! It's the 10GBe switches that usually eats up the cost but I guess some eBay searching would cut the cost to a fraction.

...This computer is a video server, we edit video and all the hard drives are connected to it.

How many editing systems are you planning to connect to the Mac Pro btw?

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Depending on your workflow and implematation, it may or may not work. As the above posters already noted, you're basically looking for link aggregation. However, on the server side, it can be tricky.

If you have your editors editing directly onto the servers at the sametime, basically writing and reading off the network directly, then it might night be enough. Gigabit ethernet doesn't have enough bandwidth even if you have one handling upstream and the other handling downstream.

However, if you're only using the mac pro as a media server, being that all the footage gets dumped in that computer and they only need to access it to copy the files, edit locally, then send back to to the server for processing and archiving, then gigabit is enough.

Also, if if you're working with RAW video or 4K or any low compression codecs, then you will still notice and hit the bandwidth limitation. For that kind of workflow, you'll have to start using 10Gigabit Ethernet (the ones on our mac pros are only 1 Gigabit. Unfortunately, such devices are hella expensive.

Thank you.

We have 4 editors tops, two regularly. Editing in HD from their desktops. The intention is to have all the hard drives connected to the Mac Pro and pull everything from there to edit. Lets say I have a show in one external raid connected via esata and another show in another raid and one editor editing one and another one the other. At same time I have another person comparing the closed caption files as well from either show.

At the end of the day I want to log into the Mac Pro and send the render overnight. Today the Mac Pro has just one ethernet port, I wonder if with a PCI card and adding 4 more ports that would be possible in distributing the load.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.