Old Mac transferring to new one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Simple554, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Simple554 macrumors newbie

Simple554

I am probably finally going to buy a new iMac, sometime in the next three months, and I have a few questions about how my old machine's stuff will/or won't transfer over.

My Mac is a Summer 2000 model iMac, running OS 9. I use Outlook Express 5.0.6, and I'm concerned about the way in which I can move all of my old email(nearly 2 Gigs worth), including the address book, over to the new Mac's mail program. Can it be done? What's the process involved?

I have documents saved in Appleworks. Can I move those into whatever the current word processor program is, that comes with new Macs?

Will my old Microtek scanner work in a plug and play way, or will I need to download new drivers?

What's a good printer to buy? I've looked at Apple's website, and they apparently don't make printers anymore?

Will my Motorola DSL modem connect troublefree to the new Mac?

Can I connect my old iMac with the new one, and just drag and drop it's hard drive over? --That would be too good to be true, but I'm sure I can, anyway; the more important question is, will the old programs work?

I am not a whiz at computers, but I'm intuitive and skilled enough, that I consider myself relatively literate and handy, and I have the time to do it myself.

This old Mac is just really tired. At ten hours a day for nearly ten years, I can't blame it!

It's time for a new Mac.

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Gordon

2. jdizzle299 macrumors newbie

Transfer Files

You can connect your two computers and transfer files via ethernet. Or, you could use migration assistant on your new mac.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most of those apps are so old they won't work.

Apple Genius Bar can help you transfer your stuff over, at no cost when you buy a new mac.

Maybe there are guides on sites such as lowendmac.

Peripherals would work easily, such as your internet access.

Printers, most brother laser printers are good value when you look at the cost of ink over time.

He's using os 9. Migration assistant I think is only for OS X.

4. Simple554 thread starter macrumors newbie

Simple554

Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking I'd need to pay for the One to One service for what is probably something I can figure out on my own, too.

I'm not really concerned about Outlook Express or Appleworks working. I just want to be able to integrate their data into a new app on the new Mac.

Thanks for the tip on Brother printers, too! I hadn't heard that name in awhile. I didn't know they were still around, but I haven't shopped in a long time.