Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToecutterV8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Ok, I have this older bluetooth mini keyboard (3 battery type).

Trying to use with my iMac 27. It discovers it and asks to type in a 6 digits number. All fine up to here.

.......Then after a pause this message comes up 'Pairing Failed' (pic below). It was paired with another mac ages ago but that is long gone, so I can't unpair it.

I tried the holding the side power button trick but to no avail.

Shame as its in perfect condition. It has the previous users name showing. The bluetooth window in High Sierra gives no real options to change anything.

Is it chuck in the bin & buy a new one time?

Keyboard.jpg

ToecutterV8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Yes! The first batteries seem to fail after 5-7 years!
thank you. yes changed them and no joy.

Whats frustrating is it obviously finds it ok, but final hand shaking will not happen. Seems ridiculous Apple made it so hard to reset its settings. A little omission that will probably benefit Apple £60 odd quid for a new one.

Reminds me why I ditched Apple years back and went PC.

Its only because I do electronic music I bought another. Same stuffy constrained experience here we go again.

Last edited:

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
It might be worth restarting your computer and trying again, you can also see if you can pair and unpair it to another Mac or iPhone and then give it another shot.

ToecutterV8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Thanks, but I have tried that. Also I have no other Apple products. After so many bad experiences with Apple, I am mainly PC/Android now.

Seems ridiculous a perfectly good keyboard is useless because there is no method to reset it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.