Old Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JavierM, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JavierM macrumors newbie

Hi, i just recently got and old Mac, Power Macintosh 5500, and i was wondering if its possible to install an old version of Unix on it, i want to learn Unix im already using the Terminal on my Macbook but i wanted to use the 5500 for something. If its not possible what's the oldest version of Mac the 5500 supports? I hope some can help me, i don't want to waste the 5500 :/

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You might want to ask over here. We mostly deal with newish computers in these parts.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I believe that vintage Mac can run Mac OS 7.5.5 up to 9.1. You have the option of installing something called MKLinux or LinuxPPC- I would recommend the latter over the former. It may be possible to force OS X onto this machine, but it would probably a lot of pain for no real gain.

4. chill. macrumors 6502

what's the point of running unix on a 5500 when you can use terminal? especially for learning purposes, there's no real benefit and you can probably apply what you learn using terminal better in real life.

the only reason i see to use a 5500 is for retro applications, but even then rosetta/emulators can replicate the old ppc behavior

sounds like you are just trying to find something to do with this machine because it's there and you don't want to "waste" it. if you have a tractor and a horse plow, do you start plowing your field with the horse so you don't waste it also? different tools fulfill different needs. and it is time to put this tool out to pasture