Old MacBook and New iMac. Should I sync them?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zachlegomaniac, Feb 20, 2011.

1. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I have a new iMac i7 refurb coming tomorrow via FedEx (woohoo), and am currently using an '08 MacBook. I like the idea that my new machine will be "fresh," but I don't really want to hand pick through all my software and files and figure out what to put on my new iMac and how to transfer the information. When I purchased this MacBook I just hooked up my G4 via ethernet cable and transferred everything from one laptop to the other.

I have plenty of space on the new i7, but can anyone recommend a good (free?) app to organize and/or clean my current MacBook before, and if, I decided to sync them. Does anyone have any other/alternate suggestions? Such as: just sync them you idiot. This MacBook has been for personal use, but the iMac will be primarily for business use (as well as some fun, of course). For example: I'm going to want to listen to anything in my iTunes library on the iMac even if the MacBook is off-site.

Thanks,
    z.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Personally, I'd do a fresh install, but since I wipe my machine every six months I already have all the installers I need in place.

If you're going to migrate, I'd suggest running CleanMyMac on my MB, removing OS caches, apps, extensions etc you no longer need. It's not free, but it does a good job of it, extremely easy to use too.

3. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Great purchase. Thank you for the advice.