Old macbook as a media server + HTPC .. do I need OSX Lion Server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dzigg, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dzigg macrumors member

I'm planning to buy 2011 MBA 13" base model to replace my old trusty 2007 white MB..

So to make use of the MB, I'm thinking to use it as a media server, by connecting it to HDTV, attach 2 or 3TB of external hard disk, and connect my ethernet connection to it to share my internet ( I don't have any wireless router so this MB will also be that)

I'm going to use XBMC or Plex to stream media. Also planning to use splashtop (iOS app) so I can remotely connect from my iPad.

Now the question is, do I need OSX lion server? what other feature will it offer? Any cool implementation with it that fits my need?

Thx in adv.

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

No you don't need Lion server. Nothing that it does will help your scenarios.

3. jonnyz macrumors newbie

Nah, but...

I agree - no need for Lion Server at all. And IMHO, buy a router, APE or otherwise - the internet sharing in OS X was less than reliable for me when I used it.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Something like EyeConnect or TwonkyMedia might be useful if you want to stream multimedia to other devices. EyeConnect is free for Audio only serving.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

don't let the fact its called Lion Server fool you, regular old Lion can do plenty of Server related tasks such as media/document and print serving with ease.

6. dzigg thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the feedback guys,

@ jonnyz : yup I know it's not as reliable as dedicated router, but for my needs (and budget) it'll have to do for now.. am hoping to get one in the future tho'

@ weckart : Thx for the recs, I'll check em out.

So the general consensus is no need for lion, so I can save $50.. :) I'm just wondering, Is there a feature that lets me see who connect to my MB "router", and possibly have more control (bandwidth, security)..?

7. sirrus3610 macrumors newbie

I'm currently in the same position. My girlfriend just bought me a new 15" macbook pro to replace 4 year old macbook. I want to set up my old macbook as a media server, so i can stream all its content to my TV (via xbox). Any suggestions on the best way to set this up?

Basically I want to be able to set up my old macbook with attached hard drive off in the corner, connected via ethernet cable and really never touch it again. I can add content to it over the network from my new laptop and such. Is XBMC or Plex my best options for this? Can i get remote access to it if i want?

Any help would be appreciated.

8. dzigg thread starter macrumors member

It's nice to see someone with the same project as mine.. The difference is you're using xbox to connect to the tv, while I use the old macbook directly.

Plex is much easier to use and setup, but unfortunately there's no windows client app (only server app). So I'm leaning towards using XBMC, especially since there's a way to have mysql database so play count/progress and bookmark can be synced across all device. (there's a lifehacker guide for this).