Old Macbook dying - new suggestion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i-sidd, Aug 19, 2010.

  1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    Hi all,

    I got my first macbook almost 4 years ago and now i think its dying. The screen flickers a lot and if i rest my hand on the left side the keyboard starts acting strange as soon as I left my hand up its normal. I think i need a new macbook.

    I am planning to get a refurbished and save some money. I am looking for the 13" mbp. My question is is there going to be an upgrade in January. I have another laptop, just in case this completely dies. So i think I can wait till then.

    Also, should I go with the bare bore mbp or the one with the highest processor.
    kindly suggest
  2. pasdesilence macrumors newbie


    Aug 19, 2010
    The MacRumors Buyer's Guide is always a good point of reference before buying a Mac. :)

    Being a Mac user who just upgraded to his dream machine, I say go with the most expensive machine you can afford. Play with configurations on the site, browse the forums, ask questions and don't listen to size kings/queens or speed demons/demonesses and go with what your needs are. If you only use it for light surfing and don't need much real estate, I'd go for the entry level MacBook which goes for pretty cheap on the refurb side.

    If you do any type of creative work, put money into a 15" MacBook Pro.

    Either way, i'd buy a refurb and then add RAM from Other World.

    Macs will always upgrade, if you wait until January for the latest, you may talk yourself into waiting a bit longer for the next best thing. Trust me, buy the best you can afford and enjoy it. :)
  3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Aug 1, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Hey, i do also agree if you spend a few extra bucks now it tends to stay a more powerful machine for longer =D What are you planning on doing with the mac?
  4. fcortese macrumors demi-god


    Apr 3, 2010
    Big Sky country
    Also, I suggest calling the Apple Store and speaking to one of the customer service reps. You can go over your needs and he/she can make suggestions/answer questions. Also, you may be able to get some instant discounts and save a few bucks. At least that's what I did and was very happy with the new MBP I ordered just 2 days ago and has been shipped today. Good luck!
  5. scottacus macrumors newbie

    Aug 19, 2010
    Just picked up a 13" MBP myself, to replace a 13" Core Duo MacBook that is slowly dying. So we're in pretty much the same boat.

    I'd bet that MBP a refresh would come by next April, and January is probably as soon as we'd see it (aside from maybe a very minor processor bump in the fall which is possible but not worth waiting for). But even then, I'm not sure Apple could move the 13" to the i5, as Intel is blocking nVidia integrated chips like the 320M on the i5/i7 and there's just not enough room in the 13" to add a dedicated graphics chip. So unless Apple goes with a new processor from AMD it may be a while before the 13" moves on from the Core 2 Duo.

    If your current computer is dying I don't think it's worth holding out. Especially as the 13" MBP is available for pretty cheap right now ($999 at Micro Center, which Apple and Best Buy will price match too).

    (The 15" is nice too, but I think its standard screen is a waste of space and the 15" really needs the high-res option to be worthwhile if you go that direction.)

    If you choose the 13", many people advise (wisely) to go for the base model as the model with slightly higher processor speed and slightly larger hard drive is generally not worth the premium. (The slight processor bump is barely noticeable and the hard drive can be replaced on your own much more cheaply.)
  6. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    thanks guys for the quick response and suggestions. I am set on buying the 13" i dont need any larger that that. As far as using, it will be used for regular stuff, surfing,e email, home dvd etc for home use. So the way I see that you guys are suggesting is go for the base model of 13" mbp.

    How easy of difficult is it to replace the hard drive

  7. palane macrumors member

    Jan 13, 2009
    Co-sign on this.

    I've used a slightly different strategy. I like picking up a late model refurb just after there has been an update. There's generally a quick price drop and you've got a reasonably current machine. We tend to get a new computer every two or three years. I take the previous family computer for myself and the new one gets used for my wife's work.

  8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

    Jul 23, 2009
  9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030


    Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Remove the screws on the bottom, then just need to remove the bracket and connector from the hard drive, and you can easily put in a new one.

    And +1 for the base 13", no point in waiting yet another 5-6 months for an upgraded model.
  10. nexedzero macrumors regular


    Aug 6, 2010
    How do you get them to do a price match ? Just show them it on the website ?
  11. Pax macrumors 6502a

    Dec 12, 2003
    Just to give another point of view, these are cheap problems to fix
    - the flicker is caused by the backlight inverter, a small widget between the logic board and the screen.
    - a new keyboard is not expensive and is a 5 minute job to replace
    You could talk to a Mac repair specialist (some post on these forums). I expect you could fix both these problems for say $200-250.

    The 4 year old Macs are still great machines, you might find that a new Mac won't actually feel much different for everyday use.

    But if you really want a new Mac, go for it!

Share This Page