OLD MACBOOK ERASED HARD DRIVE HELP !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vassili golfidis, Mar 29, 2016.

1. vassili golfidis macrumors newbie

vassili golfidis

Hey,

i have a problem

i have a old white macbook that i got from my mom cause she didnt used anymore. I have my own macbook pro.
    I used the Hard Drive of the old macbook and i formated it to use it als external HD.

Now i want to reboot the old macbook and use it as a extra macbook but because i erased everything from the HD it won't work. when i put the HD in there is a question mark folder.

PLEASE HELP I TRYED EVERYTHING !

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Take out HDD. Plug in externally in your MacBook through USB SATA. I'm suggesting this because I assume you've already done this, based on your description.

Turn off MacBook. Press and hold Cmd + R on startup to boot into OS X Utilities.

Format external HDD through Disk Utility. Select 'reinstall OS X'. Point it to the external drive.

This should work depending on which OS you have, and if the other MacBook supports that OS.

3. vassili golfidis thread starter macrumors newbie

vassili golfidis

4. rixard macrumors member

rixard

Get install media for osx (on a usb stick or a dvd), put the harddrive in the whitebook and let the installer take care of everything.

5. vassili golfidis thread starter macrumors newbie

vassili golfidis

6. mildocjr macrumors 65816

If your MacBook doesn't support the Cmd + R recovery environment, find out which OS is the latest supported for that MacBook then use an 8GB+ external USB/HDD drive to create recovery media for the MacBook.

Here is a link for Lion

and here is a link for Yosemite

These are the two methods that have worked for me depending on which OS you can use. I don't remember when it switched over to the Yosemite method, but if you open the Package Contents and do not see InstallESD under the resources folder then you will need to use the latter method. Naming doesn't really matter in this case but if you download the El Capitan distribution (unlikely it will work on the MacBook) using the Yosemite method you will need to change the application name accordingly to invoke the installer from the correct location.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    You can use the install media from the recovery disk that came with your old MacBook, but if it did not come with the disk, then you will need to download media from the Mac App Store.