old MacBook for dad for iTunes/iPhone song management

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 1rottenapple, Aug 12, 2017.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in buying a macbook preferrably 100-200 dollars, its main purpose is for itunes song management for his iphone. My dad mastered itunes and do not want another way of managing songs (cough cough google music), so we prefer this method.

What macbook book year (and model) can I purchase for him that can still support the latest itunes version.
    We also prefer one one with a CD Rom because "for DVD" lol.

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Does it have to be a MacBook, as there is iTunes for windows?

Any mac that is being sold for $100 to $200 is probably pretty old, and even if the latest itunes is supported it may not be in the near future.

Anyway, checking the download page, the latest version needs macOS/OSX 10.9.5.

Here is the minimum specs for 10.9.5
    • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    • Xserve (Early 2009)
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    If you want to go to the dark side, I would get something with windows 10 already installed.

I picked up a windows 10 tablet with keyboard on sale for $50 this week from Fry's Electronics, and it ran the latest iTunes for windows. (The problem was the 32 gb SSD drive was so small it was hard to install the latest windows 10 updates.) I would recommend something with more speed & storage than the $50 tablet, but it was interesting that it worked with such a cheap computer.

You will probably have to purchase a USB dvd/bluray drive if the computer is not equipped for one already if needed. Looking on amazon, a USB DVD drive typically run about $30, Apple's superdrive is $130.